JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they're putting a Mercedes derived diesel into the US Grand Cherokee and the export model Wrangler has a 2.8L diesel. Is Jeep going to do the smart thing and put a diesel in the US Wrangler in the near future? Or is the Mercedes engine going to disappear from Jeep now that Chrysler and MB have split the blanket?

With $4.00+ per gallon gasoline and dire predictions, I need a diesel alternative and would like to have it in a Rubicon Unltd. Something I can run on soybean oil if the proverbial sh!t hits the fan.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man I thought you had NEW info :) WEll there are roumors that in '10 there might be a diesel..
I will not buy one TILL there is a diesel or V8 option :(

·
Registered
900 Posts
A year ago, I would have been all over a diesel. Now I'm not so sure. Between the premium price for the Jeep itself and the difference in fuel price ($3.85 vs. $4.35 here), I'm not so sure the diesel would pay off for me. I think I'll just ride my motorcycle more often and keep the Jeep I already have. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Diesel in CA is $5+ per gallon. There is no way I would get a diesel now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Diesel in CA is $5+ per gallon. There is no way I would get a diesel now.
I'm basically looking for an off-road capable SUV in an alternative fuel in case gasoline becomes prohibitively expensive or unavailable. I already have a '95 LR Disco V8, which apparently can be fairly easily converted to LPG with UK mfg. kits if the need arises. What I want is a diesel vehicle I can still run on homemade vegetable oil and alcohol if the **** really hits the fan.

According to what I've read about the Grand Cherokee's 3.0L diesel, the fuel cost to run vs. gasoline seems to be a virtual wash as the diesel is 20-30% more fuel efficient than gas but diesel right now costs about 20-25% more per gallon, although the diesel engine also costs about $1,000 more than the standard Grand Cherokee gas engine.

The Grand Cherokee ought to be adequate for most off road travel, but I'd rather have a Rubicon Unltd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That would be great. More power/tq. And more options for fuel.

The point would not be, spend$5.00 a gallon for diesel, I believe the best options would be to do the minor conversions so it would run on oil i.e. soy/vegtabel/fryer

Free fuel would be the way to go.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I was amazed, in one of the magizines, the numbers for the 3.0 diesel were better than the smaller Hemi option folks have been dropping into the JK.

I'm not gear head, but if a 3L diesel provides the same/better numbers as a 5L Hemi, wouldn't you get better gas milage just based on engine size?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The diesel fitted in the European JK's is not a Merc it is a V&M, I have had chance to drive a JK unlimited auto with one fitted and a 2 door JK manual with the diesel engine, and I am so glad a got a gas JK from the State's. I know that the JK is not a performace vehicle, but on the auto you could time the 0-60 with an egg timer, and the manual you seemed to be up and down the box a lot more then the gas powered JK. A section of highway near me has a climb not that long and in my JK Unlimited it goes up in fifth, but in the 2 door I was down to fourth.

And you think your fuel prices are high we are paying $2.60 a litre for diesel, and $2.30 a litre for gas:pissed:

·
Registered
202 Posts
The diesel fitted in the European JK's is not a Merc it is a V&M, I have had chance to drive a JK unlimited auto with one fitted and a 2 door JK manual with the diesel engine, and I am so glad a got a gas JK from the State's. I know that the JK is not a performace vehicle, but on the auto you could time the 0-60 with an egg timer, and the manual you seemed to be up and down the box a lot more then the gas powered JK. A section of highway near me has a climb not that long and in my JK Unlimited it goes up in fifth, but in the 2 door I was down to fourth.

And you think your fuel prices are high we are paying $2.60 a litre for diesel, and $2.30 a litre for gas:pissed:
I also drove a diesel JK with the auto trans here in detroit, my experience was quit a bit different than yours.

The diesel had all of the power in the right place, and way more than my gas JK. I have an aftermarket exhaust, intake, 5:13 gears, and 35 inch tires and between 2000 and 3000 rpms it is powerless. As soon as the diesel option is available in the states, I'm throwin' down for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My '95 Discovery has a modified Range Rover 4.6L motor from RPi -- I see that RPi also does LPG conversions on Rover V8s, primarily for the UK market.

Do you know if a LPG conversion from petrol is worthwhile?

Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
A year ago, I would have been all over a diesel. Now I'm not so sure. Between the premium price for the Jeep itself and the difference in fuel price ($3.85 vs. $4.35 here), I'm not so sure the diesel would pay off for me. I think I'll just ride my motorcycle more often and keep the Jeep I already have. :)
I was mistaken............diesel here is now $4.85 a gallon. And if the $hit truly does hit the proverbial fan, you're going to have to battle others to the death for the fryolator grease from Mickey D's. Just my .02. :D

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
That would be great. More power/tq. And more options for fuel.

The point would not be, spend$5.00 a gallon for diesel, I believe the best options would be to do the minor conversions so it would run on oil i.e. soy/vegtabel/fryer

Free fuel would be the way to go.
Exactly...

Make Your Own Bio-Diesel

I have access to alot of fryer oil.. as of now a company comes and hauls it away for free just so they can refine it into bio-diesel. I'm thinking in the not to distant future I can charge them to take it... would much rather turn it into fuel myself.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
People here in the US are so closed minded when it comes to Diesel. So its $.80 more a Gal? And....

You get massive lowend torque and better fuel economy AND you can you BIO or a gease conversion.

My Diesel Jetta gets an easy 45mpg, Some are getting up to 60mpg with hypermiling and slight mods.

My Diesel Liberty gets 25.5mpg 80 hwy/20city driving...Again with very little mods, some are getting up to 32hwy chipped.

My jeep LJ sits because I can not afford the gas (14.5mpg's)!!

Hopefully jeep plans to install a 4 banger Diesel, I bet 30mpg hwy is doable (Stock)

Jason

·
Registered
29 Posts
People here in the US are so closed minded when it comes to Diesel. So its $.80 more a Gal? And....

You get massive lowend torque and better fuel economy AND you can you BIO or a gease conversion.

My Diesel Jetta gets an easy 45mpg, Some are getting up to 60mpg with hypermiling and slight mods.

My Diesel Liberty gets 25.5mpg 80 hwy/20city driving...Again with very little mods, some are getting up to 32hwy chipped.

My jeep LJ sits because I can not afford the gas (14.5mpg's)!!

Hopefully jeep plans to install a 4 banger Diesel, I bet 30mpg hwy is doable (Stock)

Jason

I SO AGREE with this.. PLEASE GIVE US THE DIESEL!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am going to just put my own cummins 4bt turbo diesel when my warranty goes out. will be a while but will be great. my dad is branch manager for cummins so i pretty much get the hook up on a brand new diesel engine:thefinger:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Chrysler is telling dealers that 2010 will be a banner year for new releases....Lets pray for the 4 banger diesel!!!

Jason

·
Registered
29 Posts
Chrysler is telling dealers that 2010 will be a banner year for new releases....Lets pray for the 4 banger diesel!!!

Jason
Man I SOOOO HOPE SO I was getting an itchy trigger finger the other day... the dealer ordered a rubi EXACTLY how the wife had wanted one.... and I had some issues with my Jeep.... I almost had a 35K brake hose LMAO

·
Registered
541 Posts
A diesel option in the JK would be better even with the diesel price.

Our JK Unlimited on 37" tires with 4.88's and a 6 speed averaged 13mpg on the highway... I can only imagine what a diesel would've averaged in it.

So to make a 130 mile trip it would've used 10 gallons and cost here and now around $42 to make the trip. If a diesel version would've gotten even 20mpg that same trip would've only cost me around $32 even with the difference in fuel prices here.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
A diesel option in the JK would be better even with the diesel price.

Our JK Unlimited on 37" tires with 4.88's and a 6 speed averaged 13mpg on the highway... I can only imagine what a diesel would've averaged in it.

So to make a 130 mile trip it would've used 10 gallons and cost here and now around $42 to make the trip. If a diesel version would've gotten even 20mpg that same trip would've only cost me around $32 even with the difference in fuel prices here.
I have a LJ with 37's and 4.88's and I get 14.5 mpg day in/day out. On rd trips if flat I get 16.5mpg and My LJ unloaded curb wieght is 4800lbs loaded is5400lbs

Jason

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a LJ with 37's and 4.88's and I get 14.5 mpg day in/day out. On rd trips if flat I get 16.5mpg and My LJ unloaded curb wieght is 4800lbs loaded is5400lbs

Jason
I have a Cherokee on 33" tires and 3.55's and even bogging out with those gears I can still get 17mpg highway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts