JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. So I had a little issue with the jeep. I cracked the thermostat housing and lost all my coolant. I went out and got a new housing and thermostat. I replaced them and refilled all the coolant and now my jeep sounds like a lawn mower. It barely stays running. Any suggestions on what to check for.

Don't mind the video. I wasn't really video taping certain parts except to just get the sound on the video.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Damn! Sorry no help here, just Damn!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Holy Hell that sounds bad ............

Sounds like a massive compression or exhaust leak. What are the circumstances behind the thermostat damage? Might help to diagnose what else is wrong.

Check to make sure all of the spark plugs are still in the heads. Plugs have been known to pop out of their threads if a head gets too hot. (Not just on JKs, but vehicles in general).
Check exhaust manifolds to make sure nothing is loose/cracked.

Other than that, it is hard to diagnose over the interwebs. Might be time to have her towed to a mechanic.

Good luck and let us know what the problem is. :beer:

AMP

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
def check to make sure spark plugs are all still in and tight. did it hold new coolant? id imagine that would throw a code? id prob just get a hemi, easier than fixing whatevers wrong with it

·
Registered
877 Posts
Damn, dont sound good bro. Definitly check the ignition, plugs, and compression check. What caused the damage to the thermostat housing, did you run hot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's likely you warped the heads as they are aluminum and losing all your coolant probably did the trick.

Jim

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't even had a chance to check anything since I posted that. I'm gonna hopefully get some time later to check a few things out. The coolant is still in there so thats holding. Its definitely throwing some codes. I feel like its in Limp mode right now. If I try to rev it I can't get it above 2600 RPM's. I'll have to check it out later and see if I come up with anything but I'm definitely gonna check out everything you guys have been saying.

On a side note. How hard is it to install a LS1? haha

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
that doesn't sound like the engine is shot to me.... bad cats maybe? when you broke the thermostat housing did you happen to break or loosen the wiring to the throttle body? I had similar sound when I busted the clip that holds the wiring to the body.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Running on 6?

To me, it doesn't sound like it's running on all 6. (Yes, I know unsub already said that, I was just backing him up) And defiantly check and make sure all of your spark plugs are in tight. I had a ol' TJ, took it mudding one day (I know I over heated it...) and bang the crap outta her and I came off the mountain sounding similar to that. I tightened them, comes to find out I had knocked 2 loose. I was also leaking coolant though.... but at least you are one step closer that was since yours is holding. Defiantly though with these new 3.8L get a compression check... they are a lot more sensitive than the ol' 4.0L inline.

But then again... it might be a reason to go for the HEMI... just saying. Ha.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
when you broke the thermostat housing did you happen to break or loosen the wiring to the throttle body? I had similar sound when I busted the clip that holds the wiring to the body.
was right ^^^^

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Tim was right with those clips. I haven't even had time to work on it though. (although I was cruising around in the WW2 jeep tonight when I should have been fixing the Jk). I'll try to fix it tomorrow night if I have time.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Chris if that plug isnt 100% in it will run like crap and throw all kinds of codes including the red lightning bolt on the dash....mine took a couple minutes to clear too once I got it on all the way again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts