JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you Denver area guys had any issues with emission testing with 35" plus tires? I thought I read somewhere that 33" was the biggest tire they would allow during the test. I was going to keep my stock tires just for that, but may have an opportunity to sell them for $1000.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I remember reading something about that their dynos can't test anything bigger than a 34" tire. I didn't think they tested until after the fourth model year, which in this case would be 2011. Someone from Denver can answer it better though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, you're right Phil. I did some research and it's 34" max. tire size and new cars are exempt for 4 years, so I guess nobody with a JK has had to do it yet. My 35" KM2s only measure at 33.5", I wonder if they go by advertised height or actual height. I guess I won't have to worry about it until 2012.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
that is ridiculous....is that an arbitrary law, or did they really buy dynos that would not handle tires any bigger than that?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Wow... We have emissions testing in this area of TX. New vehicles don't require testing for first 2 years. Which means mine is coming up. I've never heard of any tire size issues. I guess I might need to check into that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what they say about tire size on the Air Care Colorado website.

Tire Size: Tires smaller than 17 inches or larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer. Tires can be measured at the station if there is a question regarding size.

There's an "idle test" that they can do on vehicles with larger tires, but they will only do that if they are OEM. So the Hummers with the stock 35s can get tested. I read on Colorado 4x4 that the stations won't measure if the markings on the tires say they're bigger than 34"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could probably find an offroad shop that will loan you some wheels/tires to get emissioned. Just leave your big meats for collateral.

If you are in the metro area, and can plan ahead (you need to do a few throughout the year or some such thing), you can use the drive-by stations:
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/locations.html
Yea, I plan on driving by some of those. I hear they're a lot more strict with those and not too many people actually pass them...

·
Registered
43 Posts
My subaru and my old bronco have had no problems. I try do drive them through the road side things once a month or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts