JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Denver Area - Good Gear Shop?--FOUND ONE!

I have 5.13s ready for installation. Anyone in the Denver area know a good gear shop?

Don't say "All-American" because I won't take my rig to that overpriced rip-off shop! :D

I have all the parts. Just need someone to do that install. Any help is appreciated!

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
In washington I had a bit of a time finding somebody to do the gears if I did not purchase the gears through them. Actually, quite a few places wouldn't install gears I brought in.

Hopefully a little different out here

I am looking at gears soon so I am curious to hear as well. I am still drawn between those or the 4.88's. I do drive on the freeway a bunch. I have 35's with an auto. What do you have?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 35s with an auto. I live up in Evergreen, so the drive up I-70 absolutely kills me with 4.10s. It's funny because I'm more than happy with 4.10s offroad. It's the highway driving I can't deal with.

So far I've had quotes of around $800 from 4wheelparts and $1200 from High Country. Neither shop had any problem with using the gears I'm going to bring in. It's not like there is really anything available but Superior gears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Denver and have had work done at High Country. Very happy with them. Having a lift, tires and wheels put on by them this week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Denver and have had work done at High Country. Very happy with them. Having a lift, tires and wheels put on by them this week.
Doing good work and doing good gearing are two separate things. I put on a lift, tires, and wheels. But I'm not gonna touch gearing (at least not yet).

High Country is a good shop, I hear. But I don't know about their gearing guys. Plus, they are dang expensive and they throw on a zillion "fees" and miscellaneous charges after the fact so they can quote you a lower price. I talked to one guy there and when I merely mentioned cheaper prices elsewhere he got a big pissy attitude. How dare I bring up the concept of a guy trying to save a few bucks. Lame.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have 5.13s ready for installation. Anyone in the Denver area know a good gear shop?

Don't say "All-American" because I won't take my rig to that overpriced rip-off shop! :D

I have all the parts. Just need someone to do that install. Any help is appreciated!
Try Josh @ CrawlerTech 720-422-4598 they're by I-25 & I-70

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try Josh @ CrawlerTech 702-422-4598 they're by I-25 & I-70
Thanks!

I ran across of a couple of threads on colorado4x4 that mentioned CrawlerTech.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't get a hold of Josh, so I went with Hillside 4x4 in Denver.

I can't wait to get this done.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Deffinetly post up how it went! I am looking to do mine soon as well.

Let him know you have people waiting on your feedback, maybe he will give you a break on the charge ;):D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deffinetly post up how it went! I am looking to do mine soon as well.
Will do. It goes in May 5th and I'll pick it up the 9th (no, it doesn't take 'em that long, just what my schedule will support).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here's the scoop..........

I just had it done at Hillside 4x4 in Denver.

I friggin LOVE this rig with 5.13s. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

5.13s are a must when going to 35 and living above 5000 feet.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
So what did you pay for the installation?

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread)

Since you had a good experience I will proabably use the same shop
Thanks for the info! :beer:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what did you pay for the installation?

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it in the thread)

Since you had a good experience I will proabably use the same shop
Thanks for the info! :beer:
I have no problems posting $$.

Total cost was $768. I supplied both the gears and install kits which I bought from Phil at TrailDuty.

Labor: $750
Cheapo Gear oil: $18 (I will change this out after 500 miles).

No additional "fees". The above amount included tax, everything.

I made sure that this was going to be the full-out price before I had them do the work. I hate it when a shop gives you a price over the phone, then adds all the fees as a surprise when you get there (Shop fee, towel fee, diposal fee, bend over fee, etc). Hi Country is famous for this - on top of their overpriced work to begin with. You end up paying 30% more than that "price".

These guys at Hillside 4x4 are straight up, good to deal with, and real wheelers that know their stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well here's the scoop..........

I just had it done at Hillside 4x4 in Denver.

I friggin LOVE this rig with 5.13s. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

5.13s are a must when going to 35 and living above 5000 feet.
I assume you have Superior gears.
Any observations on gear noise?
I take it you recommend Hillside 4x4?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume you have Superior gears.
Any observations on gear noise?
I take it you recommend Hillside 4x4?
I haven't heard any gear noise, but I haven't driven with the windows down yet. Colorado doesn't seem to want to give up the cold weather yet at 8000 ft. :(

Yes, I would recommend Hilside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts