JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else that lives where it gets cold out think the wipers and defrost suck?

One thing I noticed is that it doesnt take very long for the wipers to ice up and not work good when driving in the snow.
If the wipers actually stopped higher up on the windshield they might actually get some heat and not ice up like they do on every other car or truck Ive owned!
The other thing that sucks is that the defrost is just in the middle of the dash. The sides of My windshield, and side windows stay frosty when its really cold out.

I think its kind of lame that the defrost and wipers in My 1993 YJ worked better than My new JK!! :shaking:

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem with the wipers yet, but it is actually cold down in Cincinnati right now - running in to the same problem with the defrost.

Yours looks good with the Airrock BTW.

-Doug

·
Registered
100 Posts
MAtt:
You are not alone with your views on the defrost and location of the wipers.

I live in Canada where we understand cold weather. Don't like it, but understand and have to deal with it. My '85 CJ had the same problem.

In a major snow storm, you had to either stop every once in a while; get out and scrape the ice and snow off the drivers side by the windshield pillar; then bounce the wipers against the windshield to get the ice off them or ... carry a long snow brush and reach out the driver's door window and try to knock the ice and snow off the windscreen all while trying to miss the wipers as they swung by. I really think this was the start of the "Jeep Wave" thing.

My '08 JK Unlimited isn't much better. Just found that out while we got dumped with 12" of snow the other day. As they say...it's a Jeep thing; ya gotta luve it.

Guess the rocket scientists at Jeep thought we tuffies should drop the windshield during a snow/ice storm. Interesting idea...bad solution.

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
it hardly gets cold here, much less snows.

but I ran into the sides of the windshield not defrosting issue. I took a hat/cap and placed it on the defrost vent so that it diverted some of the air to the left in front of the driver.

also, I have had a HotShot from microheat (http://www.microheat.com/) for a few years and never put it on anything. I've thought about adding it to the JK as it seems to be a good candidate for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Im glad Im not the only one with this problem!

That hot shot heated washer fluid is cool! I wonder if it would help melt the ice off the wipers when driving?

A

·
0 Posts
it hardly gets cold here, much less snows.

but I ran into the sides of the windshield not defrosting issue. I took a hat/cap and placed it on the defrost vent so that it diverted some of the air to the left in front of the driver.

also, I have had a HotShot from microheat (http://www.microheat.com/) for a few years and never put it on anything. I've thought about adding it to the JK as it seems to be a good candidate for it.
I think you should send it to someone who needs it more where it snows. Say someone in Colorado ;)

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i agree the defoster blows and not in a hot, ice melting way.and the wipers keep getting frozen up. i wish it had a "winter" setting like my old subuaru XT6 did, when you had the wiper in winter mode it did go all the way down and stayed right above the defroster. damn that thing was a 89 and it had better features than my jeep does

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
I think you should send it to someone who needs it more where it snows. Say someone in Colorado ;)
naah. Alan pissed me off when I saw pics of his shop, so I wouldn't send it to him

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m in Michigan and thought it would be worse then it was, we just had a bunch of snow and weather around 0F a few days ago. The heater being really hot helps. Initially I was thinking of shortening the stroke and re-indexing the wipers so it sits on the windshield where the defroster blows. I was also thinking of redirecting defrost to the sides or possibly adding a stick-on heated grid, similar to the rear window but just on the edges.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Works fine here....4 months in Maine's worst winter last year proves that the only thing that works right on a JK is the heater and defroster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i wish it had a "winter" setting like my old subuaru XT6 did, when you had the wiper in winter mode it did go all the way down and stayed right above the defroster.
That's frickin' cool! ...ah, I mean warm.

Nope...have my eye on another Land Rover
Please tell me it's a Series II so I can laugh at you. Misery loves company you know!!!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
That's frickin' cool! ...ah, I mean warm.

Please tell me it's a Series II so I can laugh at you. Misery loves company you know!!!
Actually ashley, I'm searching for a 2 door Defender that essentially is like new in condition and with very low miles...in other words, never used or abused....got any leads?;)

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Another monumental waste of duckets

·
Registered
262 Posts
thats not that bad, a monumental waste was todays ceremony to bring president butt nut into office

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Somebody has their head screwed on tight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts