JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there got.a.problem have 08 2 door rubi with a 3 inch lift with around 33 inch.tires (metric) can.not get rid of death wobbles it starts at 40 mph. Put heavy track bar and steering stabilizer if any snow.gets on wheels gets worse. Please any ideas. Thanks:flame::shitstorm:

· Premium Member
1,820 Posts
If you are running aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers, did you remove the lug retainer clips?

When you installed the lift, did you loosen all the control arm and trackbar bolts and wait to retorque them until the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground?

Death wobble is not a consistent, speed dependent shimmy at a given speed.

Have you read my DIagnosing DW thread and watched the 2 videos?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you get close to 40 sometimes it just starts to shake and sometimes you got hit a small bump. But.once it starts you.have to pull over or slow down now. Its like a wheel on a grocery store cart shakes whole jeep. Running bfg's been good tire. But nobody seems to now what it is. Have buddy with 6 inch lift and 35 s run 100 down dirt road. Do that in my jeep your dead. It does.seem better after tire balance and will shake but will smooth it self out. I can not figure it out. Does it with other tires and wheels. Huge thanks for responce. Adjustable ball joints? Bent diff house? Help want to drive jeep

· Registered
899 Posts
His sounds like a possible tire/balance issue.

Kapt what would you do if there's a wobble after hitting a bump
I would check out planman's thread, that's what I would do.

If you are running aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers, did you remove the lug retainer clips?

When you installed the lift, did you loosen all the control arm and trackbar bolts and wait to retorque them until the full weight of the vehicle was back on the ground?

Death wobble is not a consistent, speed dependent shimmy at a given speed.

Have you read my DIagnosing DW thread and watched the 2 videos?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
death wobble planman

Planman i put lift in my self but didn't know you needed track bar. Got shakes bad put track bar in it stopped ran good 6 to 8 months then started to wobble again. I will try the torque trick. Think bushings could be issue worn out? Front seems sloppy but take weight off feels.tight thanks

· Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Planman i put lift in my self but didn't know you needed track bar. Got shakes bad put track bar in it stopped ran good 6 to 8 months then started to wobble again. I will try the torque trick. Think bushings could be issue worn out? Front seems sloppy but take weight off feels.tight thanks
Check nut and make sure they are all tight and mark them as you do each that way you don't miss any an you can also see if any get loose at a later time after driving. Good practice is to mark the nut and bolt to the frame/brackets. It is difficult to get some torqued properly while on the ground. If you can find a lift that picks the vehicle up by the wheels, it makes that job a lot easier. Also, get 9/16th bolts for everything if you have not done so already.
Here is one type of lift that I am referring to: Tire Automotive tire Automobile repair shop Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I bet your toe is to far in, you have an ovaled TB bolt hole, or a bad draglink end at the steering knuckle (with stock draglink). I dont think that bad BJs alone would cause DW, a harsh wobble for sure, but most likely not full on. DW always seems to stem from one of these 3 things.

· Registered
6 Posts
Had this problem with my 2001 Range Rover. Every RR owner chased the problem by replacing bushings left and right, track rods, etc. As it turned out the fix was to ditch the low profile tires which had uneven wear and invest in a quality alignment. A slight tow out was the manufacturer's specs but that's what caused the problem. 1/8" toe-in fixed it for good, along with 16" wheels and nice new tires. I can't speak to the Wrangler yet. I'm in my second month of ownership.

2012 Arctic 2-Door (silver)
Bob in Raleigh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.