JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have (at this moment....tomorrow is another day) talked my wife into a trip to Death Valley in the spring. I sold her on "Going to see the cactus bloom" and wildflower viewing and ghost towns and scenic views. Or something like that. I am going to tow a popup there and also try and talk my Oregon buddy to come down with his motor home and maybe get my San Jose buddies to come down also and make it a get together of old Tandem cow-orkers.

So now begins the research on where to go and what to do and things to see and trails to run. So for those who have done Death Valley I am open to suggestions.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Death Valley is awesome. I have been on a few of the trails around there and it is definitely a spectacular place. I will have my trailer by then and I'd like to do some camping. Maybe a setup at Furnace Creek then tour from there so the tents, travel trailers and RV's can park and setup then we can go play.

Titus Canyon is a good trail as is Ubehebe Crater and Racetrack. Most trails in Death Valley are very "tame" and any stock JK should have no problems.

At Furnace Creek there is a loosely stated restaurant and a gas station. Gas is at a premium and I paid $3.50 a gallon for regular when most other places were a buck less.

The window for the bloom is tight and depends on rain and temps. I have been there during one of the biggest one's in a long time and it was unbelievably colorful.

I have been in Death Valley in August and I don't recommend it. It was over 100 degrees at midnight.

There are also many interesting spots around Death Valley such as Amagosa Theater and he Amagosa Valley.

There is also Saline Valley where some para-militaries hang out and you can see where Charles Manson used to live. :grinpimp:

In Death Valley is Bad Water at -282 feet below sea level then you can drive to Lone Pine off of 395 and hike up to Mt Whitney the highest peak in the lower 48.

Keep a word out on this, I might like to go as well.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
I just mentioned this to Debbie and she was in 100% approval of a mid-March Death Valley run. :bounce:

Death Valley National Park

Weather Cam at Furnace Creek And yes, that's the campground.

Furnace Creek Resort A little spendy but if you want to sleep in a bed and didn't bring it with you, its the only nearby choice. They do have a very nice mineral pool though. :bounce:

Stove Pipe Wells is at the North end of the park. I've never stayed there but its another accommodation location.

Amargosa Valley website with attractions. Goldfield is just north of Beatty and is an interesting town in it's own right. Lots of buildings in arrested decay, some are still lived in. :eek:

Beatty is a town very nearby Death Valley and is a bit more accommodating for the traveler on a budget. Plus Beatty has gaming and a few more food choices.

Just out of Beatty is Rhyolite a ghost town that is a popular stop when heading into Death Valley.

Lone Pine is on 395 and is another gateway to Death Valley. 395 heading north from Lone Pine is a California Scenic Byway and it is scenic.

Some nearby diversions.

Just south of Death Valley is Las Vegas and is quite the mecca for just about everything.

To the East of Death Valley is a little town called Rachel and is the focus point for those traveling the Extraterrestrial Highway and those seeking a peek at Dreamland at Area 51.

Some notes on Death Valley. The park is HUGE. It is a lot of distance from one spot to another. Gas is a precious commodity as is water. There is lots to do and see in the park and around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts