JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So I'm looking to get a JK hopefully by June at the latest, but there are some things the dealers are being very vague about and I was wondering if you could offer up some advice:

1. Lifetime Powertrain Warranty - I've heard through the rumor mill that installing a lift and larger tires will void the lifetime powertrain. True/False?

2. Diesel - I had a dealer tell me that diesel JK's are due out outside of California, but I haven't been able to find any info on this. I would love a diesel JK.

3. I'm a student of the classic 4.0 I6, both with my 91 YJ and my brother's 99 TJ. It was an awesome, bullet proof engine.....can I expect the same in performance/reliability from the new V6 or is it too soon to tell? Has the new engine been fully-embraced by the true Jeepers yet?

Thanks everyone, and I'm loving the site.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Guys,

So I'm looking to get a JK hopefully by June at the latest, but there are some things the dealers are being very vague about and I was wondering if you could offer up some advice:

1. Lifetime Powertrain Warranty - I've heard through the rumor mill that installing a lift and larger tires will void the lifetime powertrain. True/False?

2. Diesel - I had a dealer tell me that diesel JK's are due out outside of California, but I haven't been able to find any info on this. I would love a diesel JK.

3. I'm a student of the classic 4.0 I6, both with my 91 YJ and my brother's 99 TJ. It was an awesome, bullet proof engine.....can I expect the same in performance/reliability from the new V6 or is it too soon to tell? Has the new engine been fully-embraced by the true Jeepers yet?

Warranty - You will experience different amounts of hassle based on your dealer. If they are being a pain before the sale, I'd try to find another. They can't automatically void the warranty for aftermarket mods, but if the mod led to the component failure, then it won't be under warranty. So for instance, if the lift caused a bad driveline angle, which led to premature failure of the driveshaft, then they could refuse coverage for that. If you break an axle, they could blame it on the larger tires. Now, if your radio died, there's no connection to the lift, so it shouldbe covered.

Deisel - There has been no official word on a deisel JK. There is one in Europe, so it's possible, but getting one federalized is no small task. My gut feeling is that the JK will eventually get a deisel, bt not for a few years.

Power - The JK's 3.8 is different than the old 4.0. It is more rev-happy, but doesn't have the grunt that the 4.0 did. The JK seems to be more sensitive to tire size changes than the older ones, because of the off-idle performance. That said, the JK is a great vehicle, and I wouldn't let that sway you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warranty - You will experience different amounts of hassle based on your dealer. If they are being a pain before the sale, I'd try to find another. They can't automatically void the warranty for aftermarket mods, but if the mod led to the component failure, then it won't be under warranty. So for instance, if the lift caused a bad driveline angle, which led to premature failure of the driveshaft, then they could refuse coverage for that. If you break an axle, they could blame it on the larger tires. Now, if your radio died, there's no connection to the lift, so it shouldbe covered.

Deisel - There has been no official word on a deisel JK. There is one in Europe, so it's possible, but getting one federalized is no small task. My gut feeling is that the JK will eventually get a deisel, bt not for a few years.

Power - The JK's 3.8 is different than the old 4.0. It is more rev-happy, but doesn't have the grunt that the 4.0 did. The JK seems to be more sensitive to tire size changes than the older ones, because of the off-idle performance. That said, the JK is a great vehicle, and I wouldn't let that sway you.
Thanks! Well, I definitely have a springboard to go off of with the dealer now. I would wait for the diesel, but I don't think I can wait that long..:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi Guys,

1. There are dealers installing lifts and tires on the lot here in Portland, so I'm not sure on the warranty. Your best bet is to check with the dealer you're purchasing from.

2. Diesel - Last I heard was 2012

3. can I expect the same in performance/reliability from the new V6? ---HAHA, NO---

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

Well Said, Buy from a dealer that is Mod Friendly and that does the Mods themselves

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. There are dealers installing lifts and tires on the lot here in Portland, so I'm not sure on the warranty. Your best bet is to check with the dealer you're purchasing from.

2. Diesel - Last I heard was 2012

3. can I expect the same in performance/reliability from the new V6? ---HAHA, NO---
2. I don't think I can wait till 2012....but I smell upgrade!

3. This is just too funny to try and respond :D......bu that's what I figured. Hahaha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Said, Buy from a dealer that is Mod Friendly and that does the Mods themselves

Jason
I would totally go that route, but the dealers are taking way advantage of this here in SoCal. I saw a decent tire/lift combo on a JK here at a dealer that wanted an extra 6k for it, when it was easily only 3k in upgrades. Now if there was a great negotiation for one, it might be worth it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I would totally go that route, but the dealers are taking way advantage of this here in SoCal. I saw a decent tire/lift combo on a JK here at a dealer that wanted an extra 6k for it, when it was easily only 3k in upgrades. Now if there was a great negotiation for one, it might be worth it.
Really $6K does not go far on jeep mods, esp from a dealer!! I am in AZ and we mod a ton of Jk's for our customers and for stock units.

Jason

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
$3K in product? what about installation costs?

some people that see this sort of thing seem to forget that the labor cost for installation has to be charged into the total cost

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

some people that see this sort of thing seem to forget that the labor cost for installation has to be charged into the total cost
X2 and dealer labor ain't cheap! $105 hr seems to be the standard here

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Factored in with labor...let's say $3300-$3500 just to be safe. Either way I'm talking mediocre lift with mediocre tires. An unreasonable price compared with what a local shop, or even better....yourself, could do.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Factored in with labor...let's say $3300-$3500 just to be safe. Either way I'm talking mediocre lift with mediocre tires. An unreasonable price compared with what a local shop, or even better....yourself, could do.

Well in that case..maybe high? It depends on what they are installing

Jason

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well in that case..maybe high? It depends on what they are installing

Jason
Yeah for sure. I'd be curious to see what kind of prices are floating around at different types of dealers. I have a feeling that in my area (not bragging, but actually complaining) the dealers are going to gouge the price a bit because of all the snobby rich types who think the lift look is cool for a street queen Jeep.

·
Registered
420 Posts
2) I haven't heard anything about a diesel coming soon. I also won't be surprised if the JKs get one eventually.

3) I'm happy with my 3.8! Are you getting a 2-dr or a 4-dr? I think the 3.8 is mated quite well to the 2-dr (power to weight ratio is about the same as the TJ unlimited with the 4.0), but is a little underpowered with the 4-dr. That said, the 3.8 is a relatively torquey OHV engine and so far it's been reliable for me. I also did a consumer reports reliability comparison of the 4.0 in the wrangler and cherokees vs. the 3.8 in the chrysler minivans a while back before I bought my JK (I know a lot of people discount CR data, but it was the best I could come up with for a comprehensive comparison). Found that over the first 4 years the 3.8 was a little more reliable than the 4.0 and from years 5-8 the 4.0 was a little more reliable than the 3.8. Both overall had good reliability marks. So, I would guess the 3.8 will be almost as bullet proof in the long term as the 4.0 and probably more reliable in the short term. Oh - and has the 3.8 been fully embraced by the true jeepers yet? No, but ask me if I care... It is a lot more accepted now than when the JK first came out though, I can tell you that!

Let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2) I haven't heard anything about a diesel coming soon. I also won't be surprised if the JKs get one eventually.

3) I'm happy with my 3.8! Are you getting a 2-dr or a 4-dr? I think the 3.8 is mated quite well to the 2-dr (power to weight ratio is about the same as the TJ unlimited with the 4.0), but is a little underpowered with the 4-dr. That said, the 3.8 is a relatively torquey OHV engine and so far it's been reliable for me. I also did a consumer reports reliability comparison of the 4.0 in the wrangler and cherokees vs. the 3.8 in the chrysler minivans a while back before I bought my JK (I know a lot of people discount CR data, but it was the best I could come up with for a comprehensive comparison). Found that over the first 4 years the 3.8 was a little more reliable than the 4.0 and from years 5-8 the 4.0 was a little more reliable than the 3.8. Both overall had good reliability marks. So, I would guess the 3.8 will be almost as bullet proof in the long term as the 4.0 and probably more reliable in the short term. Oh - and has the 3.8 been fully embraced by the true jeepers yet? No, but ask me if I care... It is a lot more accepted now than when the JK first came out though, I can tell you that!

Let us know what you decide to do!
I definitely will. That's showing some smarts there though comparing the CR data to the minivans, I would never have thought of that. Currently it's all going to come down to who needs the new vehicle first. My Silverado is getting up there in miles and I will probably replace it between now and 2009, but the big debate is whether or not to replace my fiance's trailblazer. If we replace her car it will be the 4 door. If I replace my truck with a JK it will be the 2 door....if I have any say....which I probably won't....but that's another story...hehe:D.

All and all, thanks for the input, I'm looking at the new 3.8 in a different light and I'm not so biased anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts