JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ok, now I know the dealer is usually not our friend, however this dealer has been awesome. Here's the story... (I'll try to keep it brief)

I had the dealer put on the Mopar / Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit on my 2008 Unlimited Rubicon. (Lifetime warranty in effect on Lift Kit, Driveshafts, Shocks, & Gears.) I took BFG 37 X 12.5 X 17 All-Terrain T/A® KOs mounted on ProComp 8128s which are 8.5" wide and have 4.75" of back spacing. They were going to install 5:13 gears, but after installing them, they realized they had to wrong install kit. So they put the stock ring and pinion back in. When I picked the Jeep up it felt like one of the rear wheels was skidding around corners. The dealer said, it wasn't "right" but continue to drive it 'til the correct parts come in, it won't hurt anything. After about a week, with the skidding, one day after backing out of the driveway, then shifting to drive and starting to accelerate, I heard and felt a loud snap from the rear end. I took it to the dealer immediately. It happened a couple of times while on the way there, while starting from a complete stop. They said it was how the rear end was re-set up when they put it back together. And rebuilt it again. I picked it up when it was done and after about 2-3 miles from the dealership, the same thing happened. (A different tech did set up the rear end the second time.)

The dealer is contacting someone at Chrysler because this was the first Lift Kit & tires of this size that they installed. (Which, they did tell me.) Some of the guys at the dealership are saying that the tires are just too big. But the Service Manager said he doesn't believe that, hence checking with Chrysler.

So he's asked for your help. His question. Has anyone had this kind of snapping/binding/skidding - with any mods to larger tires, stock or different gear set-up, etc.

I know lots of you guys & gals have 37"s on your Rubicon and don't have problems. Please let me know if anyone has had these issues.

I've also been told by another forum member that "It's an open differential so it can't just be a too large of tire issue."
(Makes sense to me.)

As I've stated earlier, this dealer while not yet finding the answer, has been awesome. They gave me a great, and I do mean great, price on my new Rubicon, the Lift Kit & install, and also have paid for all rental cars.

While this dealer may be lacking in knowledge, they're trying to do everything possible to get my Jeep back to me with everything working properly.

Please help!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sounds like maybe they didn't install your locker correctly. Maybe it's stuck?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have the same setup as you. RE 4.5 L/A, 5.13, 37 tires on my 4 door Rubicon. I have not experienced anything like that. My work was not done through a dealership.Please keep us updated on how things turn out.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
yup, definitely sounds like rear locker problems!
I wonder if they forgot to set the little plunger/sensor deal that tells the computer if its locked or not and its holding it "semi locked"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, definitely sounds like rear locker problems!
I wonder if they forgot to set the little plunger/sensor deal that tells the computer if its locked or not and its holding it "semi locked"

Can you, or someone else, be more specific on the little plunger/sensor deal?

Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally!!!

Well, Saturday I got my Jeep back from the dealer and they finally
got it right. :bounce:

It indeed was the sensor in the rear diff not being installed properly.

It had nothing to do with the RE lift or the 37" tires. :shaking:

Many thanks to venom, and everyone else who chimed in. :beer::beer::beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts