JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just stopped by the dealership yesterday to talk to the parts guy. Been buggin' him for a couple weeks about getting a parts list and their cost (including labor) together before my new JKUR arrives. On my way thru the showroom I see the sales guy and ask if he can get a more specific update to where my jeep is... all I see online is "shipping." He says sure.

10 mins later as I wait in line at the parts area he comes up and says," found it. Its here, ya wanna go see it?" Oh hell yes! So we go and its nice...

I go back to the parts guy to see his bid and that is where I'm not thrilled or certain. I made a good deal on the jeep and I want to roll some of the cost for mods into the loan... less money out of pocket directly (I know I have to pay it all anyway) and that seems more favorable to the wife.

Here is the rub. They say they can't beat the price list I gave them for the parts from an online vendor - ok I guess I can believe that.
They say it will cost nearly $900 in freight but they got the supplier to agree to $300 flat - ok but as I was working it, I can get most of it here for less than $70.
Don't forget I have to pay tax (6%) if I buy it thru them and none online.
Their cost to install both new bumpers (Body Armor front, Highrock rear) is $240 and the 2.5 lift (TF w/shocks) labor is $700. That seems kinda high to me for swaping out springs and shocks.
Last thing that sits weird is the tire and wheel deal. They will mount and balance my new wheel/tire with pressure sensors and they are offering $500 credit for my new rubicon tires and wheels... is that really low?

So, what do you think. I'm in a rush now the jeep is here. We are doing the paperwork later today or tomorrow at the latest and I have to decide - role some, part or none of the mod costs into the loan.

Thanks for your thoughts.

· Registered
8,445 Posts
I would never roll mods into my loan unless the loan was 0% APR. Do the math at your interest rate at what those mods are really costing you and you will reconsider it.

Dealerships are not the best place to get mods done. They just have too much overhead so they have to overcharge out the wazoo.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Yeesh, $700 labor for springs and shocks? I've been doing it all wrong! :lol:

Do not fall for what they're trying to set you up with..

· Registered
157 Posts
I would never roll mods into my loan unless the loan was 0% APR. Do the math at your interest rate at what those mods are really costing you and you will reconsider it.

Dealerships are not the best place to get mods done. They just have too much overhead so they have to overcharge out the wazoo.
x eleventy billion. If you need to get out of the Jeep for some reason, you will not get the money back on the mods, and will owe more than you can get for it. Buy them separately, then remove and sell separately if you ever need to. Besides, there's usually more than one round of mods as you decided what you do and don't like/need.

· Registered
100 Posts
As for the credit for your factory wheels I will pay you $501 for those right this second and arrange all the shipping. Okay. I'll be nice and let you know that you can easily sell them for more than that yourself here or on craigslist.

· Registered
971 Posts
See above!
Order your wheels and tires mounted, balanced, and with the TPMS if you want the easiest re installation. The take-offs sell for $750 all-day and probably more with the TPMS sensors in them. Front and rear bumpers are a matter of lefty-loosey, righty tighty. Regardless of mechanical experience, you can handle that. Or find a body or truck-parts shop in town and offer them cash for a quick swap out. For the lift, which can be un-nerving for the inexperienced, post up in the regional section. You would be amazed at how many guys will come help you for beer and lunch. Throw in some bacon and they may volunteer their tools and a shop!
Don't pay the dealer for any of this!!

· Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
Not only would I not pay what they are asking but I wouldn't trust them to do the work.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
$240 to install fucking bumpers??!! $900 in freight for a 2.5" lift and 2 bumpers??!!

-Dan
Dealership labor is what, $90 an hour? If you can do front and rear bumpers in under 3 hours, I'd be impresssed.

Maybe we just drink, BS and watch too many movies while we're "working" in my friend's shop. :lol:

· Registered
1,173 Posts
... CARE ONE card.

If you go to any shop they have the CARE ONE card, or CAR CARE ONE or whatever... Its not much better on APR but at least you can use your shop.

· Registered
208 Posts
Tire carrier, fog lights, winch, swaybar skid etc in my case.

I'm not 80.

He didn't mention they were installing that stuff.

I had both my bumpers off recently, and the winch and fogs, assembled a PSC rear with carrier.

We had it apart and back together in less than 3 hours. ....including assembling the psc rear, with its bearings and latch.

Front bumper, 8 mounting bolts, winch 4 mounting bolts, fogs 8 bolts. Does the sway bar motor have to come out on a rubi....I have a sport.

$700 to mount the lift kit is crazy. Even at $100 bucks an hour, it's not a 7 hour job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.