JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well driving home tonight my headlights decided to stop working completely, I stoped an bought another set of bulbs and changed them and they still didnt work:pissed::pissed::pissed: Its a good thing i have other lights so i wasnt completely screwed. I have no idea whats going on. The blinked off then on and that was all she wrote. I was able to use the high beams for a few miles then they shut off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Are you using higher power bulbs? I know that damned pulsed supply can be a bit of a pain with different power bulbs.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope im running the same bulbs that i got with the delta lights 2 years ago. it has me baffeled

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thats exactly what happens when the PCM senses that they are drawing too much voltage.

I'd look for a short on the wiring somewhere.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the IPM. Those crappy things seem to be the cause of a lot of weird electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
242 Posts
call Bond at Rebel he has some real bright ones and then it is up to him to make them work! He can do it!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Thats exactly what happens when the PCM senses that they are drawing too much voltage.

I'd look for a short on the wiring somewhere.
Yep, depending on the headlights (brighter/lower resistence/higher draw) they'll cut out like a circuit breaker.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill prod around a bit more later. ive been on the look out for a goor wiring dia.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still no luck, im gonna hook some stockers up and see what happens

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i thought i had figured it out and narrowed it down to using teh USB on my stereo to charge my Iphone. But i was wrong today is the first time i have driven any distance with the stock headlight housings in. Sure enough about 60 miles into it the lights blinked again and shut off. As of now there is nothing running on the electrical system that isnt stock other than my kenwood head unit. i disconnected everything to include my sPod and 12 volt guy panel along with the second battery. so ill keep looking

·
Registered
188 Posts
Doesn't mean the tipm is working just because it's new.

I don't have a print or I could be more help. Trace the wires back as close to the tipm as you can. Check for power there.

Unplug any aftermarket stuff that is connected to the can bus. Unplug anything you can from the can bus that is stock (swaybar disco) that you can get to.

Either the tipm is not getting the word to turn the lights on (can bus comm issues) or it is getting word to turn it on but is broken (wiring or tipm internal issue).

If there were more freaky things happening then I'd suspect a comm issue. With the isolated issue I'd say it's tipm.

Or you have a wiring issue that is killing the tipm, so now it's 2 problems.

Or the headlight switch is broken...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts