JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be a no-brainer, but has anyone found an easy way to remove the plastic pins that hold on the rubber connectors on the OEM hood latches?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would only recommend going this route as a last resort.

I took a box cutter and sliced the hood latches rubber part completely off to bare the plastic pins (which aren't just all plastic theres a metal pin in there too) then as carefully as I could I clipped em with bolt cutters. It was a PITA but I got it done w/o scratching up my paint.

Let me know how it goes for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would only recommend going this route as a last resort.

I took a box cutter and sliced the hood latches rubber part completely off to bare the plastic pins (which aren't just all plastic theres a metal pin in there too) then as carefully as I could I clipped em with bolt cutters. It was a PITA but I got it done w/o scratching up my paint.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks. I did consider simply cutting the rubber...the instructions say to unbolt the bottom of the latch from the fender, then use a couple of vise grips to grab each end of the pin and turn until it breaks...I was hoping someone had stumbled on a clever, quick and easy (non-PITA) way to get that pin off without removing the latch from the fender...I'm just too lazy in my advanced years...:beer:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm sure you saw how hard it was to even get to the bolts to the latches?? :shaking::shaking::shaking:

So i just did the last resort thing....I was in a rush to get all my new stuff on b4 I gotted shipped back to Iraq. R&R is not a good time to be installing stuff on my JK :laughing:

I just grabbed the pin with pliers and ripped it apart.
The problem for me on that was gouging up the latches....yea call me a perfectionist, I call it OCD :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't know - maybe it was only an 07 issue, but my hood doesn't budge with the factory latches!
I'm real happy for you. This doesn't answer the question.

It's more than 'an 07 issue'. Chrysler was providing replacement latches for 09s since it is an issue.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
After struggling to unbolt them from the fender for a while, I gave up, grabbed my Dremel with a little cutting wheel and just buzzed them off, while thinking to myself "Duh, why didn't I think of this 1/2 hour ago?:shaking: "

They work great by the way.

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
I'm sure you saw how hard it was to even get to the bolts to the latches?? :shaking::shaking::shaking:

So i just did the last resort thing....I was in a rush to get all my new stuff on b4 I gotted shipped back to Iraq. R&R is not a good time to be installing stuff on my JK :laughing:

The problem for me on that was gouging up the latches....yea call me a perfectionist, I call it OCD :)
I didn't scratch mine up at all, it pops right apart.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the ideas, thanks!

Here goes nothin...

·
Registered
72 Posts
This should be a no-brainer, but has anyone found an easy way to remove the plastic pins that hold on the rubber connectors on the OEM hood latches?
Two pair of vise grips twisted in opposite directions is what I used (in Daystar instructions I recieved) came right apart.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I guess I was just a weird case, there was no way to grab ahold of those pins with vice grips. The tips of the pins were rounded and the edges were flush w/ the latch I just didn't think I could get em w/ the VGs....imo

but the way I went just really isn't much of a PITA...just took a couple seconds longer

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess I was just a weird case, there was no way to grab ahold of those pins with vice grips. The tips of the pins were rounded and the edges were flush w/ the latch I just didn't think I could get em w/ the VGs....imo

but the way I went just really isn't much of a PITA...just took a couple seconds longer
I did it, on both sides.Just enough to get a hold of .Just worked for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you get them on ok?
Thanks, yes I did. The two vice grip plan twisting in opposite directions worked like a charm. It was a lot easier than I thought. Those plastic pins broke with not too much effort.

I got one latch put together but had to leave in the middle of the project. I will do the driver's side tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the help and the link. I looked at those photos on the write-up, was wondering what they were doing with the power drill in one of the shots...?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
a good pair of dykes worked for me...and no, I don't mean two fat lesbians.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just twisted mine with them on the vehicle, it does not take much. No scrathes, although they would just blend in! Those puppies are a snug fit the first time, so yes, when you get them on you did it correct! I thought to myself at first, these must be too short, but they went on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts