JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an 08 rubicon unlimited with 17k miles and the stock battery. Recently my dash lights have been going crazy, took it to the dealer who changed out the win module, seemed fine for a while then lights continued.

The lights seem to freak out mostly in the morning after its sat over night. I've checked voltage of the battery and its checks good. I know it could be a multitude of things like the tipm also but was wondering if a stock battery that may be on its way out Leed to what's going on. Also my stereo quits when the dash lights go crazy. Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
40 Posts
What do you mean going crazy? Is it the idiot lights? Or the dash backlighting? IMO the battery doesn't seem a likely cause for something so inconsistent. Have you installed any accessories into the factory CAN-BUS? Please post some additional details. Thanks

· Super Moderator
4,076 Posts
If its the original battery start there-shit is old from an 07-lol. There are plenty of threads referencing the battery gremlins/issues. If it continues you've at least eliminated one thing and u should get a new battery anyways at this point.

Is this thing on?

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean going crazy? Is it the idiot lights? Or the dash backlighting? IMO the battery doesn't seem a likely cause for something so inconsistent. Have you installed any accessories into the factory CAN-BUS? Please post some additional details. Thanks
I have the factory nav stereo, nothing is spliced into the canbus wiring. I have a cb and a couple of ridgid lights wired directly to the battery. The dash lights that come on are the sway bar, ESP, abs, brake, check engine. The back lighting dimes, tach bounces around. Radio stays on but quits playing.

· Registered
148 Posts
So I have an 08 rubicon unlimited with 17k miles and the stock battery. Recently my dash lights have been going crazy, took it to the dealer who changed out the win module, seemed fine for a while then lights continued.

The lights seem to freak out mostly in the morning after its sat over night. I've checked voltage of the battery and its checks good. I know it could be a multitude of things like the tipm also but was wondering if a stock battery that may be on its way out Leed to what's going on. Also my stereo quits when the dash lights go crazy. Any advice would be appreciated.
Know anyone with a code reader? read PCM and ABS codes, my guess is you have a voltage issue of some sorts, test the battery, and all grounds for the engine and body to the battery.... but the codes will give you an idea

· Registered
316 Posts
changing the battery doesnt do anything, mine does this every 6 mos or so, the most recent was 3 days ago, all dummy lights came on and trans shifted to neutral on its own, I let off the gas and after 2-3 secs, everything was back to normal

as I said earlier, this will happen every 6 mos and has since I bought it

· Registered
346 Posts
You said the disco wiring is clean but did you try to turn on the jeep with it disconnected? Mine looked clean too but it was absolutely the sway bar making it mess up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.