JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to post up a quick question for those of you that did daniel stern's headlight upgrade.....

anyone else having problems with the bulb longevity?

the original osram's i got from him only lasted about 6 months. now it is 6 months later, and my bulbs are toast again. this set of bulbs are wagner H4 bulbs - i think they were 100/110W. they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the osram's that i originally bought, but lasted just as long.

if my bulbs are going to keep burning out this fast, i'm going to have to buy them in bulk.

am i the only one?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm still trying to figure out what is causing it. don't know if it's the wiring allowing too much current.....i made darn sure i didn't touch the bulbs with my fingers when i installed them......i'm stumped as to what could be causing it.

not sure if the rubber seal could be allowing condensation in that is getting the bulb wet?????

just trying to figure it out. any ideas from anyone?

maybe it's just mine and not a widespread situation.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds like a possibility, but if that were the case, i would expect most cars/jeeps/trucks to have the longevity problem, not just these. i don't know. not sure if there are a lot of vehicles that use H4 bulbs.

i seem to remember reading that a dealership could turn this "feature" off, but haven't heard of anyone that has actually had it done.

·
Openly Hostile
6,938 Posts
Yeah, I plan to ask the dealer about it when I take it in. I think it was setting a delay time to zero or something like that. Just gotta hope I get a tech who will spend a few minutes with the star scan to find it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Higher wattage bulbs really don't last as long. Rallylights.com has a bulb life chart on their site....look under bulbs. I've seen many of these comments over the years from guys running higher wattage bulbs.

Just out of curiousity, did you build your harness with the kit from stern? I have a hell of a harness that was built for me by rally lights for my old TJ. I hope it fits the JK. Also, did you cut and splice at the headlights or is there a connector available that attaches to the factory bulb socket? I really don't want to cut the factory connectors off, just in case I ever convert back to stock lighting.

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you have the issue with the relay's buzzing, or was that remedied with the harness you bought? Lighting is next on my Mod list. Gonna replace the headlights with Cibie's, and add some brackets and lights up by the windshield.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I lost my set of Osrams after about eight months. I replaced them with Silverstars, I have five months on them so far. Any type of higher wattage bulb will have a reduced life span unfortunately.

Be careful going to the dealer to have the delay set to zero, they couldn't get mine to do it and the Starscan was showing problems with the headlights. This eventually turned into a nightmare and they fried the computer. It was replaced, but they were hinting that all the electrical items I added was the problem. They ended up pulling every relay I had added under the hood and pulled a bunch of fuses. After I got home I plugged everything back in and all is well so far.

I didn't cut the factory harness, I spliced into the high and low beam wires from the pass side. I built my own harness.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, I went off on this very subject: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015

I also bought the Silverstars because they were more available and cheaper. I Liked the OSRAMS much better but that short, expensive bulb life turned the lights off. Literally.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I went off on this very subject: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015

I also bought the Silverstars because they were more available and cheaper. I Liked the OSRAMS much better but that short, expensive bulb life turned the lights off. Literally.
i got some wagner bulbs from napa auto. they were about $8 and were brighter than the osrams.....and lasted just as long too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.