JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any significant troubles with their Dana 30's after they put some bigger tires on? How have they held up off road?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
:shaking:Nope, but other's have. Remember bigger tires puts a strain on your stock suspension. Just do a search and you can read up on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im not sure how much better this new dana 30 is but the one i had on my YJ a while ago i was snapping shafts alot running 35s.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Snapped a couple of shafts, no big deal. As long as the r&p and carrier hold together, it's all gravy. Running 35" MTR-K

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
All Jeepers should be experienced and knowlegable at trail repairs. The D30 with big tires gives you a great opportunity to learn these important skills.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm waiting for the fail, just so I can get alloys!:bounce:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
In the case of broken ring/pinion/spyder gears,..... to repair it, that include an entire new re-gear? Cost and labor wise?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was lucky and didn't have any collateral damage to the ring/pinion, so no regear was necessary. I had another loaded D30 carrier from a previous project, so I just slapped it in. Cost: $0 if you don't count my feelings :laughing:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Ok but if you didnt, like most people dont, then that would necessitate a regear, at least for that axle, I assume correct? Is purchasing just a ring/spyder/pinion gear individually a possibility?

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the used market, you can buy pretty much whatever you want... If new, you'll more than likely buy a ring/pinion set. And for the record, that is for good reason. The gears wear as a pair, and need to be replaced as a pair. If you damage the ring or pinion gear, you need to replace both the R&P. The carrier is independent, but along the same lines if you damage 1 of the 4 spider gears, they should all be replaced...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts