JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the sheet metal on the hood thin? Had a nasty thunder storm the other day with dime-nickel size hail. Thought the hood was ok after it stopped cuz I didn't see anything, but after all the water dried I see very faint dimples all over the hood. Only see them at certain angles. My partner has a Cobalt and her hood is fine. Not a mark. Not really a big deal cuz I know I'll put some dents and dimples in it on my own but not all over the hood. Looks like Mini Me tapped dance on it. :pissed:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yep...that sheet metal is pretty thin everywhere on the JK. It's a Chrysler thing nowadays. My 03 Ram Quad Cab was the same way. You lean against a door and it collapsed like a cheap whiffle ball. Luckily it bounced back.

Sorry to hear about your hood. Maybe your insurance can get you one of those AEV hoods. ;)

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
That's why I carry an old Army blanket in the Jeep...lay that puppy down over the hood and ward off hail damage.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That's why I carry an old Army blanket in the Jeep...lay that puppy down over the hood and ward off hail damage.
Yep,..carry a couple blankets also, just ran out a couple days ago from a Hail threat & put it on. If they made the JK any heavier it would be able to move the 3.8:laughing2:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yep,..carry a couple blankets also, just ran out a couple days ago from a Hail threat & put it on. If they made the JK any heavier it would be able to move the 3.8:laughing2:
Never had that worry with a TJ...the hoods on the TJ required real effort to put a dent in them...same as in my wife's Liberty...heavy guage steel...the JK...wafer thin tin foil:pissed:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn...knew the storm was coming but not the hail. Don't get it too often here. Gonna have to throw some blankets in the jeep now I guess. As far as insurance I got a 500 deduct and right now the funds are tight. Guess I have to live with it for awhile.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Worse case next time take out the floor mat's and lay them across the hood. It would cover a large percentage. I have a rubber mat thinggy for when I get stuff that needs to be stored in the back. I now know what I will be using those puppies would bounce right back up.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Yee Haw...I just found a legitimate use for my girlfriends Winsor Pilates mat that she never uses...Wonder if she minds me cuttin it in half!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts