JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I sprayed the pins with PB Blaster and I'm going to do it for next day or two then try again to get the doors off. Tried with jack and piece of wood. Lifted whole side of jeep up, and there is no torx screw in only the pins.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow, that sux. I had difficulty the first time I took mine off, since then no problems. I use white lithium grease in a paste and put that on the pine each time I put the doors back on.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea from what I have read here the first time is a bitch. I want to get them off and grease them before it gets too warm in jersey

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar probablem with my half doors you need to hit them. use a small socket and hammer it will create more force than lifting the jeep similar to an impact . After it is budged move the hinge back and foth and lift it at the same time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Go to the gym a few days and then try again! :thefinger:

Seriously though, make sure you are holding the door toward the hinge area and not close to the door handle. Act like you are lifting only the hinges and swing the door while lifting.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hammering them from the bottom didn't work for me. You have to work them off!! Keep opening an closing them while lifting. You'll work up a sweat but that's what worked for me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PB works. All doors came loose with some English. All except the front passenger. I'll keep hitting it with the PB and try again tomorrow

·
Registered
169 Posts
I tried last year to take my doors off....the passenger side came off easy, but the driver side would not come off. I worked my ass off trying to get the damn thing off. I just got fed up and put the other side back on...so far the only Jeep I had luck taking the doors off was my 93 model. Since then never been doorless!! Sad Face...

·
Registered
461 Posts
a little heat from a hair dryer will loosen up the plastic bushings and allow the penetrating oil to seep down the pin, then lift straight up with a slight rocking motion.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Ok so I sprayed the pins with PB Blaster and I'm going to do it for next day or two then try again to get the doors off. Tried with jack and piece of wood. Lifted whole side of jeep up, and there is no torx screw in only the pins.
Matty check my old threads!! I would post it but I'm on my phone right now. Maybe someone else can do it for you but the same thing happened to me. I think the thread is called "rear doors are stuck" or something like that??? There's a great 2X4 trick that works every time!

Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this with a similar punch set and will now have to retap the threads on the doors as i smashed 'em up pretty good, but the doors are off and I can not think of a reason to put the nuts back on yet...theft is possible, but I do have insurance...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i went with the white lithium grease on my '08. just pack in as much as you can, work the doors, and i mean open and close them about 100 times then try to pop them out the next day. mine came right off!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had to hammer my pins up this last time I took them off. No big deal, hammered them up then back down once I got them off. Just make sure you dont send them up to much and let the door drop, that would be bad ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would also recommend a light to moderate sanding of the pins as well as the grease before putting the doors back on. Also most all of my pins put up a fight to come off and had a nice coating of rust.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Have a guy help lift on the door, and you grab a thick block of wood wrapped in a towel..put it on the bottom of the door just inside the body..then hit it with a Dead Blow hammer..it will inch its way up and out..I had to do this the first time..Once its out..

Buy new plastic inserts and 400 grit sand the post's from the door side hinges.. then grease them..and your good to go for future take off's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts