JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife got pulled over today and the Cop said you need mud flaps:pissed:he said my tires are bigger then factory size:D
so now i need to make a mud flap setup.or i could put my stockers back on a get it singed off i guess.
Anyone make a Mud flap setup?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Go to the dealer, they sell some that fit the JK.. Or go buy some rubber and screw it into the fender well.. I think thats crap either way.. All those Huge ass trucks in Cali never have flaps! Must be SOCAL

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Before you start spending $$ and time. What VC section did he cite her for, and what agency wrote it? "Bigger than stock" is not written anywhere in the vehicle code as being a violation.
Here is the section that he probably wrote her for:

Fenders and Mudguards
27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Was it raining or was the roadway wet enough to cause spray? If so, I guess supercop couldn't find a semi or a bus blowing spray all over the place to write up and picked your dear wife.
If not, he had to write for the "wide as the tread" portion. I think I have seen your new tires and I don't remember them being that wide. Sounds like a b.s. ticket to me.
What exactley did Ponch write in the description section?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMG I totally want to get that mullet for my Jeep and then take it down to the cop...LMAO thats funny!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAHHA I love that mullet line. Hundy told me that months ago and I'm still laughing about it!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you start spending $$ and time. What VC section did he cite her for, and what agency wrote it? "Bigger than stock" is not written anywhere in the vehicle code as being a violation.
Here is the section that he probably wrote her for:

Fenders and Mudguards
27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Was it raining or was the roadway wet enough to cause spray? If so, I guess supercop couldn't find a semi or a bus blowing spray all over the place to write up and picked your dear wife.
If not, he had to write for the "wide as the tread" portion. I think I have seen your new tires and I don't remember them being that wide. Sounds like a b.s. ticket to me.
What exactley did Ponch write in the description section?
Road conditions where dry and clear...no rain or mud in sight and I was IN THE CITY for God's sake. Arg....what a lame thing to get pulled over for. I was like 2 blocks from the college (I almost made it past him) and he was just getting done with another driver and he picked me right out of a big line of cars. :O(

It's stupid Riverside Country Sheriff's office. They must need money. And they did get me for violation # 27600 and our tires DO NOT stick out from the body. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,820 Posts
I bolted those big arsed trucker mud flaps on my Amigo every time I drove into Ca for Rubicon or Fordyce. Especially on 50 those chippers are gunning for out of state 4wd people. But the point was, yes I had to put those ugly flaps on, just for CA.

And for what it is worth, yes, the cops have (IMHO) been instructed to get cracking and move from law enforcement to revenue officers and to write for anything and everything to build cash flow to the villages. I listen to my scanners and I never hear warning anymore, just cite. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Road conditions where dry and clear...no rain or mud in sight and I was IN THE CITY for God's sake. Arg....what a lame thing to get pulled over for. I was like 2 blocks from the college (I almost made it past him) and he was just getting done with another driver and he picked me right out of a big line of cars. :O(

It's stupid Riverside Country Sheriff's office. They must need money. And they did get me for violation # 27600 and our tires DO NOT stick out from the body. :pissed:
The easiest route is to find someone to sign the proof of correction for you. you will still have to pay some b.s. court cost, but at least it's out of your hair. Problem is you are at the mercy of Barney everytime you venture into his area. If you fight it and win, Deputy Dickhead is put on notice that he is writing b.s. tickets.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If they're going to be nitpicky, you should be as well. Measure the length of the inner fender, cut a rubber section to length and make that section 3" long. I believe your sig said you're running 35s, that's 3" larger than stock. Adding 3" to your inner fender won't be visually much of an eyesore and if you happen to get pulled over again, you can point to your flaps and inform him that they correct the difference between stock and your oversize tires, and since they're an addition they would in fact qualify as a flap.

There's nothing in the code you were sited for that states how big the flap has to be, just that you should have them. Annoying to have to do anything at all, but it would solve the problem without resorting to "the mullet". lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.