JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I know I have a low post count, but I've been lurking for a while before I signed up and I frequently use the search feature. I am an avid wheeler, so I am not a noob in that regard. I have built a few 73-87 Chevy's, a couple Early Broncos, and I currently own a mildly built Scout. But as far as JK's, yes I am a super noob. I am also a senior mechanical engineering student, so I am capable of figuring out these complex problems that are inherent in a full on build. But I do not currently even own a JK. I am planning my next rig, and I like to plan the WHOLE rig out before I even get started. I have wasted way too much money in the past to have not learned to do so. If I can't figure out how to make it all work, then I shouldn't buy a JK as it would be a step in the wrong direction (even though I really like them).

I will NOT buy new axles from a supplier. I want to build my own, and I would like rear steer. I live in the southeast, and we like to bounce around with the pedal to the wood when the crawlin doesn't work so she's gotta be able to take the beating. For these reasons, I would like to purchase two 78-79 Ford high pinion front D60's. The plan is to retube both axles, but to keep them full width. The front would be made into a passenger side differential, and the rear would be centered. This would work in conjunction with a divorced passenger side NP205 with twinsticks (that I already have) [edit- to clarify, I intend to install the NP205 behind the stock case]. The idea is to only have to have custom shafts made for the rear axle, and to be able to get off-the-shelf shafts for the front. Tons, cases, 4WS, and suspension will have to do for now. Engine/transmission/front-tcase swap would be planned at a later date.

So, in planning I have come across the discussions of the ESP and ABS. I don't honestly care about ESP or ABS that much, as I am planning a WHEELING rig. I have some experience with building 98+ Dodge trucks, and they have a tone ring in the rear axle that is the speed sensor and ABS sensor. When this is disabled, the transmission goes in to "limp mode" and the truck will not go over 35 mph. I take it this is different? To make sure I have this right, the computer will throw a code and the ABS/ESP won't work? I'm not sure I have a 100% grasp on what ESP is, but I can search to find that info. The point in me mentioning the Dodge is that we had a similar issue on those trucks. A lot of people machined tone rings onto 14bolts and D60's and D70's; but the answer that was the end-all be-all was to install a Dakota Digital SGI-5 controller module. It is a speed sensor that installs on the transmission, and is used mostly by drag racers who have installed Ford 9 inch rear axles in their late model. This fixed the ABS and got the trucks out of limp mode. Has anyone tried the SGI-5 to see if it would get rid of the problem, or at least part of it?

I have read a few threads where this type of question is given responses such as "You are in over your head" and "Take it to someone with experience in doing this." I do not feel these are adequate responses, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could refrain from that; it would be nice. It just seems like those people aren't willing to think hard and work hard to figure out a solution. :thefinger:

Any thoughts? It was just an idea, and I couldn't find any instances where anyone had tried it. I have searched here, and on other boards, and on Google. Thanks! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh I see. I already have the SGI-5, and it was only $80. If I (or anyone else) could make it work, it would save alot of JK builders alot of money.

Thank you for the quick reply, by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts