JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. I just got a 2010 Rubicon 6sp. Do any of you start out in 2nd gear and not bother with 1st gear when daily driving?

Seems like 1st gear doesn't do much unless you get on the gas. I started off a few times in 2nd gear and it didn't seem like a big deal.

Do you do it?
Do you recommend it?
Can I hurt the Jeep or transmission by doing this?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duker

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't... Not sure of it'd hurt or not... I start in 1st, then go to 2nd, 4th, and 6th.. skipping 3rd and 5th..

·
Registered
688 Posts
I start in 2nd alot but not all the time. sometimes 1st to 3rd. It's probably harder on the clutch and throwout bearing I think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the 4th to 6th. Never tried the 2nd to 4th though. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip Buddy!

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
Hey Folks. I just got a 2010 Rubicon 6sp. Do any of you start out in 2nd gear and not bother with 1st gear when daily driving?

Seems like 1st gear doesn't do much unless you get on the gas. I started off a few times in 2nd gear and it didn't seem like a big deal.

Do you do it?
Do you recommend it?
Can I hurt the Jeep or transmission by doing this?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duker
You arent gonna hurt anything unless you are overtly slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I personally don't skip-shift. I run through them all and shift 1500-1700rpm if i can. I do a lot of rowing, but it's easy on everything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do 1st to 3rds alot. But with 35's and 3.21's my clutch wouldn't like me anymore if i tried taking off in 2nd...lol

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
It doesn't hurt anything to start in 2nd- like HIT said though, don't wind it out (slip). I start in 2nd all the time b/c I regeared to 4:88's and b/c 1st is now a little high when I'm rollin' thru stop signs. <---j/k....I always come to a complete stop. :shaking:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I imagine I'll never see 1st gear except when offroad once I put the 5.13's in with my 35's. Maybe when I move up to 38's, I'll have a reason to use it again.

As far as 4th to 6th, it seems hard for me to find the slot for 6th when I come from 4th. I've tried it a couple of times and actually ground Reverse. Figured I'd better stop trying that in case I actually get it to slip into Reverse while traveling forward one day. That can't be good. :(

BTW, if I ever do screw it up that bad, has anyone seen an NV4500 in a JK yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts