JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Want to keep updating this until either it gets better or I give up :frown2:

I removed the cats, disabled the rear O2's and have done everything I can think of with the tune. Reducing the shift speeds, changing TC lock up, up and down plus TC slip and it has not changed or helped the 6th gear downshift.

So, next I am going to go from 4.10 to 4.56 gears and see if that does it. I am running 35's so that will only raise rpm's about 200 rpm's from where I am at now. So from 2150 to 2346 at 80 mph's. Plus if it is to much and I want to bring the r's back down I am getting close to needing new tires so maybe 37's :wink2: that way I can be back to downshifting out of 6th again.

I am thinking of doing the gears myself, that's about the only thing I really have not been into yet. I understand the steps, it is just a matter of patience that may get me in the end. So we will see.

I will report back after the gear swap and after putting some miles on it.

·
Vendor
106 Posts
Want to keep updating this until either it gets better or I give up :frown2:

I removed the cats, disabled the rear O2's and have done everything I can think of with the tune. Reducing the shift speeds, changing TC lock up, up and down plus TC slip and it has not changed or helped the 6th gear downshift.

So, next I am going to go from 4.10 to 4.56 gears and see if that does it. I am running 35's so that will only raise rpm's about 200 rpm's from where I am at now. So from 2150 to 2346 at 80 mph's. Plus if it is to much and I want to bring the r's back down I am getting close to needing new tires so maybe 37's :wink2: that way I can be back to downshifting out of 6th again.

I am thinking of doing the gears myself, that's about the only thing I really have not been into yet. I understand the steps, it is just a matter of patience that may get me in the end. So we will see.

I will report back after the gear swap and after putting some miles on it.
The offer is still good if you would like another set of eyes on your tune. Your mileage should be WAY better and your downshift issue should not even be something being discussed. Something is not quite right.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The offer is still good if you would like another set of eyes on your tune. Your mileage should be WAY better and your downshift issue should not even be something being discussed. Something is not quite right.
Offer excepted.

Thank you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Another update. Well finally went to John at Overland Performance. All I can say is DANG what a difference. He worked his magic and now it drives down the interstate like a dream!
After reading what everyone had to say about him and his work plus I talking to him several times both by phone and text, I actually drove down there with the jeep, from Kansas to Louisiana (12 hours one way).

The jeep on the way there did as usual with averaging about 12 mpg's at 80 mph's and dropping into 5th on occasion. On the way back it just rolled down the highway, cruising at 80 mph. Never did the torque converter unlock or even shift out of 6th. In fact with cruise set going up or down the hills the speed never changed more than a couple mph's it used to drop about 5 mph's going up some of the larger overpasses, drop into 5th, rev up, crest the hill, shift back into 6th and over speed a couple mph's. Now it varies 2-3 mph, maybe, if it moves at all. All this with 14-15 mpg's. It is nice to, now you just roll into the throttle and it just PULLS and if you give it a good push it will break the tires loose :grin2:

Now to put some daily driving on it and see how it does.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Another update. Well finally went to John at Overland Performance. All I can say is DANG what a difference. He worked his magic and now it drives down the interstate like a dream!
After reading what everyone had to say about him and his work plus I talking to him several times both by phone and text, I actually drove down there with the jeep, from Kansas to Louisiana (12 hours one way).

The jeep on the way there did as usual with averaging about 12 mpg's at 80 mph's and dropping into 5th on occasion. On the way back it just rolled down the highway, cruising at 80 mph. Never did the torque converter unlock or even shift out of 6th. In fact with cruise set going up or down the hills the speed never changed more than a couple mph's it used to drop about 5 mph's going up some of the larger overpasses, drop into 5th, rev up, crest the hill, shift back into 6th and over speed a couple mph's. Now it varies 2-3 mph, maybe, if it moves at all. All this with 14-15 mpg's. It is nice to, now you just roll into the throttle and it just PULLS and if you give it a good push it will break the tires loose :grin2:

All I can say is John is a heck of a guy. He listens to what you have to say and truly wants your ride to work and for you to be happy. He is not done until both you and he are satisfied with how the jeep runs and reacts. The great thing is, if down the road if I want to change a few things he is there to take care of you.

Now to put some daily driving on it and see how it does.

Another thing of many, that you will notice later on is that if you drive it consistently the same way that you normally do it will build a memory of how you drive it and will respond the same way all the time .
Keeping your foot out of it will improve your fuel mileage at the expense of minor performance advantages , so drive it like ya stole it . You really didn't install a LS for fuel mileage anyway , did ya ?
Your enjoyment is really the most important thing to John , if you aren't happy he ain't happy .
He's become a important friend to me , I'm certain that he has had the same experience with other people , just the nature of a personality like his . Cool Dude .

It should chirp the tires in at least the first four gears , have fun !

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I got better mileage outta the 5.3 than the 3.8, if I drove the speed limit like a normal human.
V8 made that hard to do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got better mileage outta the 5.3 than the 3.8, if I drove the speed limit like a normal human.
V8 made that hard to do.
V-8 makes it nearly impossible to do .

>:)

Yes you both make valid points. With how it is running now I defiantly will be having trouble driving normal 0:)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts