JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can't purchase my own but I can give him money for it. That way its mine.
I want a full size.can't carry till I'm 21anyway
9mm. Bullets are cheaper there fore I can go to the range more often.
Looking at
Springfield armory xd9 and the xdm9
Taurus 917 9mm,PT 92 and PT99
Smith and wesson m&p 17rd 9mm

I'm just looking for one that I can keep under my bed so I have some protection when they go on vacations and I'm alone.. And also something I can take to the range.

I know the xd and the xdm have good followings here. The xdm is the most expensive out of them all so I would really have to be in love with the gun.
I don't know much about the Taurus and the s&w but they are priced right.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
Technically and legally, they call that straw buying and it's highly illegal. Aside from that, XD9 or XDM9 would be a great choice. S&W would be my second choice. Taurus, meh.

Edit: Do not purchase based on price. Purchase based on comfort and performance. Go to the range and shoot a few of the ones you like before buying. It's a fairly pricey "oops" to buy the wrong weapon just because it was a few bucks cheaper. Make sure it fits your hand and you feel confident with it. Buying the wrong handgun for your hand is like riding a motorcycle with a helmet three sizes too big. Sure, it will be there when you need it, but it will fail to protect you when you actually try to use it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming Christmas GIFT. Obviously when you say you are paying for 'IT' you are referring to helping your dad pay the mortgage, in a wholly separate transaction from the handgun purchase. Thankfully, it's not a straw purchase when a parent GIFTS a firearm to their child. The law gets a little murky when the child gives the parent money for the gun.

I still have the first handgun my dad gave me. A Smith & Wesson 4006. I got it when I was 19. I've never loved that gun, but can't bear parting with it for the memories.

If you are a new shooter, just make sure you get the fundamentals down from someone competent. You don't want to reinforce bad habits over an extended period of time. It's much easier to learn correctly, than to correct bad habits later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im 20 so I did what you are doing. Paid my dad so I could have my range toy.

He did buy a XDM9 and we took it to the range, its a solid gun, shot very well, never misfired in the ~800 rounds we had it. It has great sights, great ergonomics, grip feels good, its a well balanced gun.
My dad sold it cause hes had 7 major back surgeries, and that gun with a holster weighed in a bit over 3 lbs and it took a toll of him just enough through the day. But no complaints about the gun if it was under normal carry circumstances.

We have a few taurus's, never had problems with them, I dont like the grips as much, and with upgraded sights it makes an accurate shot. But the taurus 9mm wont feel as well balanced as the XD9/XDM9. Some people have issues with Taurus's, we have a 25 year old taurus we take to the range every time, clean it after every use and the only maintenance we have had to do it do a half turn on the screws in the grip...and that was once after 24 years.

Now smith and wessons to me have the most comfortable grips. They fit the hand well, still feels comfortable after 100 quick shots. The only thing that can be a downside to the M&P line is their triggers. There seems to be a love/hate effect when it comes to the trigger, just like the love/hate effect of the glocks trigger. The M&P is a easy shooter, great all around gun, just depends if your finger likes the trigger or not.

I personally bought a Kel-Tec PLR-16. Its a 18.5" "pistol".. starts out as a AR-15/M-16 basically, pistol grip put on, and a shorter barrel. Shoots .223/5.56 NATO ammo. Its a great range gun. Fun, deadly accurate even at 100 yards. But ammo adds up quick and 18.5" isnt easy to conceal like a normal pistol. But once I turn 21 I will get a 9mm and a 1911.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Technically and legally, they call that straw buying and it's highly illegal. Aside from that, XD9 or XDM9 would be a great choice. S&W would be my second choice. Taurus, meh.

Edit: Do not purchase based on price. Purchase based on comfort and performance. Go to the range and shoot a few of the ones you like before buying. It's a fairly pricey "oops" to buy the wrong weapon just because it was a few bucks cheaper. Make sure it fits your hand and you feel confident with it. Buying the wrong handgun for your hand is like riding a motorcycle with a helmet three sizes too big. Sure, it will be there when you need it, but it will fail to protect you when you actually try to use it.
I know what you mean. I gave my self some options for that reason. I will defiently shoot a few of them but I can't go out and spend 800 bucks either.there's a couple other choices I have but these caught my initial fancy. I wanna check out a few walthers but the local shop only carries them in a 22variant and I don't want that.
Idk my buddy is freinds with a bunch of cops and said that its not illegal to own one @18juat to buy one.
ive always been partial to the 1911s
I do love the 1911 great design. I'm not looking for a 45 though. Anybody make a 9mm 1911?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know some may frown at my suggestions but the best 9mm for my hand and comfort is the IMI or IWI baby eagle (Jericho) I bought the 9 for my range and "target" and the 40 for a hunting sidearm.

also don't discount the Glock models a lot of service men and women I know prefer them as their sidearm.

I agree with the earlier post, don't buy based on price, go fid a range that has the models that you are thinking of and try them out. the one that feels right in your hand will be the one to get.

before I bought mine I shot 12 or so back to back (it was an expensive day at the range), H&K, XD9, S&W, Colt, IMI, CZ, Beretta

happy hunting, you'll know when you've found the right one.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
This...

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I know I can't purchase my own but I can give him money for it. That way its mine.
I want a full size.can't carry till I'm 21anyway
9mm. Bullets are cheaper there fore I can go to the range more often.
Looking at
Springfield armory xd9 and the xdm9
Taurus 917 9mm,PT 92 and PT99
Smith and wesson m&p 17rd 9mm

I'm just looking for one that I can keep under my bed so I have some protection when they go on vacations and I'm alone.. And also something I can take to the range.

I know the xd and the xdm have good followings here. The xdm is the most expensive out of them all so I would really have to be in love with the gun.
I don't know much about the Taurus and the s&w but they are priced right.
It is legal here in AZ for a father to buy a weapon and gift it to his son and not considered "straw" buying. I don't know FL laws but I think it would be the same since FL is another pro gun state.

It is also legal here in AZ to open carry a pistol at 18, just can't purchase them.

Look past price when buying a weapon. Have you tried any of these out before? Held or shot them? Out of what you listed, personally would pick up a XDm Compact in 9mm. They are 3.8" barrel with a shorter grip but accept full size XDm magazines with a grip extension. A very close 2nd would be the M&P.

-Dan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Any opinions on a Beretta storm? I was considering one of these, (45 or 9, going to shoot both) any opinions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wouldn't poo-poo the .22 option if money is an issue (ie you'll be buying your own ammo). I have a Ruger MkII that I bought in 1986, probably have 10,000 rounds through it and it still shoots silver dollar sized groups. Mine has the 6 7/8th in. bull barrel, if I had it to do over I might get the 5 inch bull barrel.

If you are sold on the 9mm round, take a look at Sig Sauer also. They make a fine pistol.

Another option is buying a pistol that you know you can get a slide and barrel chambered in .22 for plinking and skill development.

good luck, wish my kids would pay my mortgage.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I'm another 1911 fanatic ...was looking at a Les Baer a couple days ago.

That said, of what you listed I'd go with the XDM. I owned one not too long ago (sold it for a Glock 19 Gen 4) and enjoyed shooting it. It handled well. The interchangeable backstraps are a nice option. It's very user friendly ...simple breakdown and maintenance. Unless I'm off ...I think it comes standard with a holster and three magazines.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
TBP, going to give you insight and keep you out of jail:

You can give you father money for the firearm, for money doesn't prove ownership (he'll thank you for the generosity). The paperwork for the firearm will be in your fathers name and the weapon will be registered to your father and no one else. You are under the age of 21 and cannot have in your possession at any time, a handgun or any weapon classification that would be a handgun caliber. You can't even have pistol ammo in your possession. If you are found at a range without your father and you have his handgun, you are carrying an unregistered firearm (unregistered to you) and that is a felony. If you have it under your bed, in your house, your father can be brought up on various other charges as well. If in any way, shape or form, you take possession of this firearm after your father purchases it, it will be deemed a "Straw Purchase" and considered a felony.

To make a long story short on handgun laws in the US, you are under the age of 21. Stay away from them. If you need a weapon for your own home protection, go purchase a rifle (non-assault class) or a shotgun (barrel length greater than 16 inches). Some things you have to be appropriate age for along the lines of possession, just like alcohol, this is one of them.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
And if you need the law codes justifying what I told you, let me know and I'll provide them to you and your parents. Also, if you want to go play with firearms on a daily basis, go join the military and you'll shoot more than you ever wanted to.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
TBP, going to give you insight and keep you out of jail:

You can give you father money for the firearm, for money doesn't prove ownership (he'll thank you for the generosity). The paperwork for the firearm will be in your fathers name and the weapon will be registered to your father and no one else. You are under the age of 21 and cannot have in your possession at any time, a handgun or any weapon classification that would be a handgun caliber. You can't even have pistol ammo in your possession. If you are found at a range without your father and you have his handgun, you are carrying an unregistered firearm (unregistered to you) and that is a felony. If you have it under your bed, in your house, your father can be brought up on various other charges as well. If in any way, shape or form, you take possession of this firearm after your father purchases it, it will be deemed a "Straw Purchase" and considered a felony.

To make a long story short on handgun laws in the US, you are under the age of 21. Stay away from them. If you need a weapon for your own home protection, go purchase a rifle (non-assault class) or a shotgun (barrel length greater than 16 inches). Some things you have to be appropriate age for along the lines of possession, just like alcohol, this is one of them.
^^^^ Sage advice right there. ^^^^

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.