JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached photo started off as a disappointing piece of documentation from my slog over Big Bear to Yucca Valley, last night -- I swear it's muddier than it looks! :) It was a beautiful weekend with lots of muddy snow pits -- 35" TJ from Holcomb Creek run, are you here?

Anyhow, I've certainly lost equipment before. A d-ring, even. What's interesting here is that I took this photo then proceeded directly to lunch a short bit away. When double-checking this shot, I assumed they'd be gone in the photo, too. Oh well, right?

So, I came out from lunch to discover both front D-rings were missing! Yeah, I often inspect my rig on return (bet you do too).

Did I lose two in five minutes or did someone really take them?! Why not steal those shiny new LED Rigid lights? I'm glad I didn't see this happen...

Is this common in your neck of the woods?

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
That sucks. The D-Rings where an opportunity theft. They would need tools to remove the lights. You won't loose d-rings on the trail unless you barely have the pin threaded into the ring itself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I noticed you are from Long Beach. If that is the one in SoCal, then that is perfectly normal.

Up in my neck of the woods, people leave other peoples shit alone for the most part.

Some ricer must have parked by you and thought those would look mad tight attached to that anodized pink tow hook peeking out from the front bumper of their Honda Civic.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
HA! Sorry that you had this happen. I crank mine down pretty tight but last week I noticed that one of my 4 powdercoated D-rings was missing. I was wondering if it was taken or fell off. Why take 1? But the thing is I tighting the pin pretty tight. So its hard to think that the thing fell off. Anyway, it sucks either way. I hate thieves.

A bit over a year ago I was running top off (as I do a lot) and some dick took my recovery bag - I lost tire deflaters, tow strap and some other stuff. Just sucks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ever stand knee deep in water trying to get a Dring off to hook up a strap or have to take one off to hook on to someone's rig. I keep our strap hooked to the hitch hole and folded in the trunk with a couple Drings ready to go? Hard to loose them that way.

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
HA! Sorry that you had this happen. I crank mine down pretty tight but last week I noticed that one of my 4 powdercoated D-rings was missing. I was wondering if it was taken or fell off. Why take 1? But the thing is I tighting the pin pretty tight. So its hard to think that the thing fell off. Anyway, it sucks either way. I hate thieves.

A bit over a year ago I was running top off (as I do a lot) and some dick took my recovery bag - I lost tire deflaters, tow strap and some other stuff. Just sucks.
When you bring it back, we'll just weld them on there. Very practical solution :lol:

That sucks about your recovery bag. I really need to remove the stuff from my Jeep when topless. Snatch block and such..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Someone would have to have a pretty long bar to get mine off. I torqued them down pretty tight.

It would be interesting to catch someone fucking with my rig, just sayin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I keep mine inside so that doesn't happen. You have to take them of to put a strap through them so you aren't saving any time by having them on the bumper already.
Actually, if you use a second D-ring... you wont need to take them off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The one time my buddies and I were going back on my friends woods to party at night so we had to meet in a parking lot because his gate was locked. I arrived first and sat there with my jeep off and full of people. My jeep has 5% tint all around so you cant notice anything inside at all, so while were sitting inside the jeep we see these 3 kids start walking around the jeep checking it out and it was so suspision the way they were acting so we watched for a bit. About 2 minutes later they start fooling with my D-Rings and I torque mine tight with a screw driver so you cant get them off. They were obviously trying to steal them because the way they were handling them so I hit the switch to my 20" LED bar/Duallys lights as we all jumped out and they literally looked like deer in headlights. We exchanged a few words and I had my brother come down to do a report to document it because hes a cop. After the incident I never had anything stolen or anyhtign done to the jeep.
Torque your D-rings down with a screw driver and keep it under your seat for when you need it.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
i actually use a zip tie so that someone cant actually just unscrew them, not going to prevent someone who wants them but it has discouraged someone from just unscrewing them off. I guess the added step of cutting the zip tie is a deterrent... .

however we are having a rash of vehicles being gone thorough if your door are unlocked... they have gotten me a few times ( just some change...and once they got my kids portable DVD player )

but the weirdest thing.... i had two stainless cotter pins that i use when i stow from discos... they were buried in teh center console, and the fucker stole those too !

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i actually use a zip tie so that someone cant actually just unscrew them, not going to prevent someone who wants them but it has discouraged someone from just unscrewing them off. I guess the added step of cutting the zip tie is a deterrent... .

however we are having a rash of vehicles being gone thorough if your door are unlocked... they have gotten me a few times ( just some change...and once they got my kids portable DVD player )

but the weirdest thing.... i had two stainless cotter pins that i use when i stow from discos... they were buried in teh center console, and the fucker stole those too !
The zip tie idea is great. It might be "just enough" (like another poster and his winch zip tie idea -- coming out to find your winch attached to another car is funny and sad).

I was just considering a lightweight lock or similar, too. I actually like them on the bumper, ready to go. As others pointed out, there are plenty of circumstances where you don't need to remove them first (another D-Ring, certain winch hooks, etc.). Plus, I have so much stuff INSIDE on a trip, I don't want to look for them the moment I need them.

In the past, I just torqued the heck out of them. I still do, but they work loose. If I don't zip tie these, I'll use a long screwdriver to get better torque amplification and simply get that screwdriver handy as suggested. Those were my first black powder-coated D-rings, too! I'll swing by 4-Wheel Parts tomorrow and buy another pair (they didn't take the rears!). Maybe I'll even apply some LockTite Red.

I've been lucky, yes, even in SOCAL. It might help some of you sleep at night, but Los Angeles isn't non-stop gang warfare and earthquakes! :thefinger: (but I love the pink tow-hook story -- nice imagination, bubba).

·
Registered
549 Posts

I run a zip tie around mine as well. I lost one on a wash board road so starting running a zip tie on them to keep the pin from backing all the way out.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The attached photo started off as a disappointing piece of documentation from my slog over Big Bear to Yucca Valley, last night -- I swear it's muddier than it looks! :) It was a beautiful weekend with lots of muddy snow pits -- 35" TJ from Holcomb Creek run, are you here?

Anyhow, I've certainly lost equipment before. A d-ring, even. What's interesting here is that I took this photo then proceeded directly to lunch a short bit away. When double-checking this shot, I assumed they'd be gone in the photo, too. Oh well, right?

So, I came out from lunch to discover both front D-rings were missing! Yeah, I often inspect my rig on return (bet you do too).

Did I lose two in five minutes or did someone really take them?! Why not steal those shiny new LED Rigid lights? I'm glad I didn't see this happen...

Is this common in your neck of the woods?
I agree, must have been an opportunity theft. Guess some jerkoff just couldn't resist. Sucks either way. On a separate note, I have that same bumper and need to buy some d-rings. What size d-ring fits properly?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, must have been an opportunity theft. Guess some jerkoff just couldn't resist. Sucks either way. On a separate note, I have that same bumper and need to buy some d-rings. What size d-ring fits properly?
3/4" is what you need. I like the black Smittybilt ones -- I plan to get two more. As a clarification, my front bumper is "Body Armor 4x4" with the optional skid plate (protects steering box and electric sway bar disconnection unit). My rear is a Smittybilt XRC. I use 3/4" on both.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/75.htm

·
Registered
473 Posts
3/4" is what you need. I like the black Smittybilt ones -- I plan to get two more. As a clarification, my front bumper is "Body Armor 4x4" with the optional skid plate (protects steering box and electric sway bar disconnection unit). My rear is a Smittybilt XRC. I use 3/4" on both.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/75.htm
Ok thanks, appreciate the info. I have that skid on mine as well. Love the entire set up.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Had two stolen and lost one on the trail. Now I leave them in the bag unless I'm wheeling, and torque 'em down real good on the trail.

Don't always need to take them off to use them. Sometimes I just need a tie point for a winch line with a hook.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Actually, if you use a second D-ring... you wont need to take them off.
hahahaha.

That is one of the dumber things I've heard. Sure it'll work, but why? There is surely nothing cool about leaving them hanging off your rig in the first place and they provide absolutely no performance advantage to leave there. All they do is provide a nice clankity clank sound. So if you have to keep some in your rig anyway, why would you do as described?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.