JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the local state forest finally got one right. They advertised in the mullet wrapper that they were selling "cut your own xmas trees for $10!" Hell, for the experience of driving to the woods w/ my son and cutting my own tree, I would have paid $50!

According to the rangers I talked with, it was the first time they've offered this program and it had been "a tremendous success" that they intended to repeat next year! Awesome!

So I hooked the M416 up to the Jeep, loaded up the family unit and headed out. Was a brisk day for FL - about 60º. Larry and Sparky were bundled up and looking cute:

Once we got out to the woods, I let Mommy and Larry ride in the trailer while I got us to a Sand Pine grove:

A cute video of my wife and son (and dog) riding back there:
YouTube - Riding in an M416 to cut a Xmas tree

Once we got out there, Larry went all Serial Killer on me:

But I straightened him out:

After some haggling, we found the appropriate tree. We decided to cut a tree top off and make that our tree. That way we dont destroy an entire tree AND we get to come back next year and see how much it grew back (I know these woods like the back of my hand). Our very own nerdy science experiment:

I got busy cutting while they played:

Timbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!:

Now the fun part...

Obligatory Father/Son Pose:

Finally back at the Jeep, Larry helped me load it up by playing some Ramones. What great help!:

(cont'd)

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everybody else was getting their trees and high tailing it. We went on a 2.5 mile hike out to Hidden Hammock Primitive Campground and back. Was a PERFECT day for such. Found some wild Rosemary growing along the way:

Mommy took pics of Purple Belt Tae Kwon Do Master Larry:

Bigass Ants:

Made it out to Hidden Hammock:

Saw a Woodpecker:

Then we had to head back - sun was getting low:

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you top this day? By stopping in Frostproof for Ice Cream of course!:

All of which tends to wear a lil fella (and his dog) out:

Well, mostly:

This is the face of a happy daddy:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i always enjoy your pictorials:beer:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
A great tradition! We go to the Grand Canyon to get our tree every year. Last year we waited to long and it snowed 2 1/2 feet so we bailed on the Crd liberty and took my LJ with 37's! To get to our spot it was a wild ride and we ended up stopping when it goto 3' deep. Good times.....

Jason

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
i agree with Jeff... you're a great story teller Dave. and an even better picture booker... for those of us with short attention spans. LOL

:beer:

·
Registered
854 Posts
What a great memory for your son :) loved the story.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thats an awesome right up Dave. It's nice to see a good Family Day.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Very cool Dave! Wish I could go cut a Christmas tree down wearing shorts with the doors and roof off.

:beer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great story brother! Nice family you have there. I didn't get a chance to 'hunt' for a tree so I went to a local vendor here in Jax and just picked out one from the tree deathcamp.:mr-t:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts