JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on re-grooving my mud grapplers the past few days. They were getting pretty bald, and while they actually still went quite well Offroad, I figured i either needed to
A: get new tires
Or
B: groove my current
Being I just shelled out $2000 to finish my schooling I opted for option B.
My buddy has a vanstein groover that is badass, but the transformer just went out in it so I dug out the 'ol ideal groover, but the blades were too wide and I didn't have time to wait for new ones. I ended up using a grinder to "reestablish" the tread. Other than being covered in tiny blisters from melted tire, I think it turned out pretty well.
Let me know what you guys think.
My dad always said: if you want to play, you gotta pay, and if you can't be rich - you gotta be be clever.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I had too much traction because my front gears blew up like the atomic bomb on Hiroshima last night lmao.
Wish I had a picture/video of the climb, but it was wicked... Hit it way too hard and my front end came however high off the ground, when it came down I believe the deflection or whatever the hell caused the ring gear to get all sorts of chewed up.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
i was gonna say that your 'redirection /reestablishment' pulling-of some more tread ( nice enough job; that's a pita,ain't it?!) from those meats is smart & should hold ya over for a while ; it's very common in Tennessee to groove more life outta wheelin' tires but then I saw the secoind post.

you were doin that "Night Wheelin'" , weren't you?

Sorry, mate. Build and break /build and break.....

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was gonna say that your 'redirection /reestablishment' pulling-of some more tread ( nice enough job; that's a pita,ain't it?!) from those meats is smart & should hold ya over for a while ; it's very common in Tennessee to groove more life outta wheelin' tires but then I saw the secoind post.

you were doin that "Night Wheelin'" , weren't you?

Sorry, mate. Build and break /build and break.....

It sure was a pain in the ass. I really should've either had the transformer on the vanstein groover replaced, or waited for the new blades to come in.
Part of the "I'm kind of an idiot" comes from the fact I didn't wear a shirt nor gloves while doing the grooving. My hand/arm/chest is covered in popped blisters, lol.

Yeah... One shitty thing about night wheeling is I never have any "sweet" pictures.. Only 1 I have is of my buddy almost rolling his TJ. He couldn't get up the hill I climbed (the one that broke the ring gear) after he got off this I went up it and realized my front locker wasn't working.. After I got to the top it locked up on me and I realized the ring gear broke off, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts