JKOwners Forum banner

Custom Flat Fenders..

8K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  PB Foot 
#1 ·
Well it took me nearly 10hrs but I have everything done aside from the final painting.
I apologize for the blurriness of some of the photos, it's hard to tell when my phone is focusing properly.

I started by removing the stock fenders, a 10mm socket will take out the 5 bolts and 1 nut. I just broke the single plastic rivet in the front of the fenders off with a screwdriver.

With the fenders off I used some poster board to make a a template. In hindsight cardboard would have been better as it's more rigid. I ended up cutting it down more from where it is in this picture in order for the mount plate to sit about the ridge on the quarter panel.

Cut off the fender support tab and primed the bare metal. In hindsight I should have kept the tab and added a tapped tab in the fender to bolt to.

Traced out the template on to 3/16 plate.

Plasma cut, cleaned and punched mounting plates. To get the holes in the correct position in used a center punch and poked through the poster board while it was held up to the JK.

Time to bend some tube! One slight error on the calculations for my 2nd bend but overall it worked out successfully.

3 out of 4 bends done. Just the last 90 to do.

Clamped together to ensure equal fit up.

Test fit on the JK to ensure all the angles are correct before welding.

Frame portion welded, time for another poster board template.

Fit the sheet metal to the tube frame while bolted to the JK.

I cut down the stock inner fender which will do for now, it doesn't provide great coverage at the back but it's satisfactory.

Welded tube fender is primed and ready to go.

Modified inner fender is re-installed using 4 of the original bolts, the original nut and a zip tie at the back.

Completed fenders, just need to paint them now but I was a bit tired after all the fab work so that will be done tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

See less See more
#17 ·
That's what I wish I did on the rear. This way was a PITA but it will do for now. Just needed to get something done prior to my lift install next week.

nd the rear is done, tried something a little different and did tabs instead of a mounting plate. Wouldn't recommend it, stupid JK designers had to go and make everything rounded so it's hard to match the profile perfectly without the plate to hold the sheet metal. Nevertheless they will do the job!

All stripped down, there are 5 plastic rivets to remove in order to remove the inner and outer fender. One of the rivets on the passenger side holds a diff breather so make sure you remember to re-attach that when you put the inner fender back in.

Bend 1 and 2 on the first piece, the 2nd bend on the 2nd piece sucked because the first bend impacted the bender if I put it in the way I had done my calculations so I had to figure the measurements out from the opposite end.

4/5 bends done! Don't have a picture of the completed tube but I'm sure you can imagine how it looks.

Made a template for the 1/8" top piece and sheered them to size. Used a zipcut for the radius.

Ran the two top pieces through the rolls and got them fairly close, a bessey clamp works nicely to get the profile perfect.

Test fit, looks alright.

My forklift hanger for painting, works great.

Best invention ever, nutserts make life easy.

Cut down the inner fender and re-installed.

Tires look small now with such a large opening, new rubber? Ok I got a bit bored while waiting for the paint to dry.

And done. Definitely going to have to trim the rock rails and pinch seam when I do my lift.

#21 ·
Yeah I thought about that as I was doing them but I needed at least a temporary solution in order to get my lift and tires on. I only spent 10hrs on the front and 8 on the rear. The nice thing about the tabs is that it will be really easy to cut off and mount to corner guards when I get around to it :thefinger:

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.