JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a bunch of steel to make some rock rails and front bumper and i need some ideas.
i know its going to be stubby and it might have a winch mount somewhere down the line. and maybe a grille guard.

·
Registered
398 Posts

There is mine. ignore the crooked black magic...little design error, little design screw up forces me to turn it to use the clutch on the winch.

Bet the design looks familiar doesnt it ;)

And a word to the wise, dont use a cheap drill on 3/16ths plate ;) (We were actually trying to kill it)

oops just sorry bout the language on that vid ;) thats me yippin and holding the camera ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a poison spyder competition yj stinger. got it cheap, did have to cut the front bumper brackets off the frame. don't have a right up, those are free hand sawzall cuts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Custom Stubby from Bulldog Fab

·
Registered
28 Posts
Question about ride

I love the front bumpers that are recessed for a wench, but I have a question.

My JK is a day driver, and some of that is on the interstate cruising at 70-80.

Right now from the factory the "X" 2 door has a plastic bumper with a flimsy plastic spoiler to direct the airflow under the Jeep.

As I increase speed the Jeep seem be pasted to the pavement, and rides very nice, with no hopping or bouncing around.

If I replace the bumper and spoiler with an aftermarket bumper, will I lose the nice interstate ride?

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I went simple as well. Wanted stubby, winch mt, factory fogs.

2 pieces of 3/16 x6 flat welded together. 2 pieces of pipe for light guards. $29 Harbor frt winch plate. $269 XRC8 winch.

I just bought some HID lights from Kragen that I am thinking about how to mt.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

Right now from the factory the "X" 2 door has a plastic bumper with a flimsy plastic spoiler to direct the airflow under the Jeep.

As I increase speed the Jeep seem be pasted to the pavement, and rides very nice, with no hopping or bouncing around.

If I replace the bumper and spoiler with an aftermarket bumper, will I lose the nice interstate ride?

Thanks again,
If anything , the ride/ handling should be as good or better than w/ the stock bumper. Most have a pretty nice aerodynamic shape. The added weight should also keep the front end planted. you may need to add (w/ a heavier aftmkt bumper) a coil spring spacer set to level out the way the jeep sits. They are pretty cheap though, and fairly easy to install. JMO

·
Registered
398 Posts

Thanks again,
If you look at mine in my sig, I incorporated a sort of skid/air "dam" into it. My fuel economy and ride stayed the same, after the lift too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts