JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the last few weeks before I purchase D60 front and rear full float 8 lug axles. I'll be pushing 40's and will hae quite a bit of weight in mods for them to carry.
My question is who's best? I have been pricing them both out, and of course both companies promote theirs over the competition, but Dyna's are significantly more expensive. Is there anyone who can say why to not go with the currie's which are more affordable?
Any and all feedback pro and con welcome. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
and don't count out solid axle. AWESOME guys over there. If you call ask for matt and tell him Dunbar sent ya :)

if you wanted to be different. They also have modular 14 bolt 3rd members that were REALLY sexy. i don't think anyone's done one of them in a JK yet.

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Plain and simple.... Dynatrac or ANYONE other than Currie.

Unless of course you are down for the worst customer service experience of all time.... in that case, I suggest a call to Currie and ask for Daryl. He'll fuck you proper until you ask for his boss... then he'll fuck you proper too.

Promises made by Currie can be disregarded and as said by another.... one equals three or four (as in time to complete). So take any promise from them with a BIG grain of salt.

Then there are members here that are protecting their purchase at the expense of others, something I don't give a fuck about, I spent my cash and if I am unhappy, I'll tell about it, not bury it deep so others get fucked too. Several people have confided to me (after my purchase :mad:), that they break Currie 60s like they were made to break. One guy in my club has gone through five shafts I believe!?! Fucking poor quality shit.

Buyer Beware never meant so much before Currie got stupid.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I went currie, i have to say i haven't had the best customer service for just spending over 10k with them
todo it all again i would've gone junkyard, way...cheaper!
dynatrac makes awesome products but so expensive
im not sure about solids pricing but you see alot of tj's etc with solid parts and they seem just that solid

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
I went currie, i have to say i haven't had the best customer service for just spending over 10k with them
This is exactly what I was saying.... spend 10k and get treated like an asshole?

Weird thing is that Currie used to be really good in this area... maybe be new management or cost cutting? No matter... they will not stay long in business treating people the way they are. After my experience, I'd have been way ahead going Dynatrac, even at 30% or so more in initial cost.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Call Matt at Solid and see what he can do for you. He's working on my rear 60 right now - he asked me to keep the project a secret right now, but he's shipping it out this week, so I'll post some pics when I get it back. Mine is a 5 on 5.5, but I would imagine he can do the 8 lug no problem. Ryan (2k2) was out there a couple of weeks ago and saw my axle - tell Matt that you want what what he's building for Justin, with the 8 lug instead of 5 - I think you'll like what he has to offer.

JD

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I talked to several people and venders that carry both and was told hands down Dynatrac was the better axle. They do cost more, I ended up going thru dynatrac directly and they are very thorough on the specs before they build and were about 2 grand cheaper then the retail vender sponsors on here. Takes for ever to get them built. Mine are scheduled to be built next week and I ordered them on 2/20 so figure on 8-9 weeks.

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
I talked to several people and venders that carry both and was told hands down Dynatrac was the better axle. They do cost more, I ended up going thru dynatrac directly and they are very thorough on the specs before they build and were about 2 grand cheaper then the retail vender sponsors on here. Takes for ever to get them built. Mine are scheduled to be built next week and I ordered them on 2/20 so figure on 8-9 weeks.
Funny you say this.... Currie was very through on the specs, calling back to verify, etc.. But in the end... nothing was done right!?! It's like the specs and calls to verify never even happened.

Maybe a one time incident? Maybe I was unlucky? Maybe not.... many others have reported the same problems. So... you have a sales team that bugs you for details, yet never lets the shop know the details... seeing so many don't get what they asked for, you can surely tell they have a QC problem as well.

Currie too takes a long time.... but what they add as a bonus is about five or six failed promises to get it done earlier. I'd rather know up front that its going to take a few months... not be mislead by the builder.

Sorry to rant, but you need to know what others have experienced so that you can make better, more informed decisions about whom you feel comfortable giving your hard earned cash to. I wish I'd have known!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
With my experience the salesman took all my info and about 2 weeks before the build date the shop called me and confirmed all the specs. I just can't wait to get them.

I had some problems with the currie tie rod, mine snapped in two because the hole was not drilled in the center of the rod prior to tapping for the ends. It cost me almost $200 for them to warrantee the rod I had for about 3 months and took about 6 weeks to get the new replacement. I was not real happy about that purchase.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's working on my rear 60 right now - he asked me to keep the project a secret right now, but he's shipping it out this week, so I'll post some pics when I get it back. Mine is a 5 on 5.5, but I would imagine he can do the 8 lug no problem. tell Matt that you want what what he's building for Justin, with the 8 lug instead of 5 - I think you'll like what he has to offer.

JD
Im eager to hear more about this deal! please share moe when u get it in!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
There some very significant differences between the various products which all effect pricing. In our case, one of the reasons we're more expensive is because it's all made in the USA (btw- BUILT in the USA is not 'Made in the USA'). To some it doesn't matter, but to us, it's a huge part of our company culture. That said, there are some serious considerations that need to be made before you decide on even the basic layout of the axle.

With 40's and a heavy rig, full float is the right choice but a HP rear isn't always a good choice. Our housing, due to its design, holds the gear mesh better than any other HP60. In this case, it's not just the mesh that is a concern but the overall tooth strength. Rear HP D60 gear failure is not uncommon with a heavy rig and big tires. In many of the rigs we see more t-case gearing and hemi swaps. Neither of these help with survival of a HP 60 rear gear. It's for these same reasons that we don't usually recommend 40 sp shafts in a rear HP60- the shafts are stronger than the R&P. High quality 4340 35 sp shafts are usually more than adequate. A LP rear is usually a better choice for a 40" JK.

In fact, it is the heavy JK that has led to the next ProRock generation, the ProRock80 (40 sp std). No, it's not for everyone but for many it will be the right choice and allows some 'overkill' for a big, heavy rig with 40s (or bigger) and an aggressive driver. Stronger than a 14B, it has better ground clearance, a sleek ramp angle and loses just under an inch of clearance compared to a PR60. It has been delayed due to very valuable customer feedback that has led us to incorporate some great new features. We should start shipping this summer.

You'll find cheaper axles but nothing better built.

:shitstorm:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
With my experience the salesman took all my info and about 2 weeks before the build date the shop called me and confirmed all the specs. I just can't wait to get them.

I had some problems with the currie tie rod, mine snapped in two because the hole was not drilled in the center of the rod prior to tapping for the ends. It cost me almost $200 for them to warrantee the rod I had for about 3 months and took about 6 weeks to get the new replacement. I was not real happy about that purchase.
A 600 dollar tie rod should be damn near indestructable. I would rather buy an Rk for 250 and have a full lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I found out over weekend that I have a bad outer pinion bearing in my 8month old rear RJ 60. It's been making noise for about 6 months could not figure where it was coming from till now...

I Just called currie but they couldn't help me said I have to call the place I ordered it from. It's not there fault currie half ass built my axle.

I know shit happens sometimes so I'm not going to flame Currie quite yet. I'm going to wait and see how they handle this. I'm just really pissed that I will probably have to take all this apart and waste my man hours to fix it. And I'm not even sure I have the tools to do so. And now I have to teach myself how to do gears. FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok,,, just got a call back from Oilver who I ordered through he is going to give currie a call and get back with me. He said currie should hopefully take care of it. I will update my situation. I only post because I am a open book. And I hope Currie helps with this problem.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Good luck, currie hasn't been helpful with any of there mistakes on mine
I just got off the phone with them and again not very helpful

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with Dynatrac pro rock full floating 60s after multiple calls to them, Currie, and Teraflex. They simply have a better axle and better customer service. The sting of the high price has worn off and I am happy I purchased the highest quality product I could find. Compare the specs and talk to them. I felt like I was in good hands after a few phone calls!

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Good luck, currie hasn't been helpful with any of there mistakes on mine
X2. Save your sanity, don't buy Currie!

I had to drive to their facility to get anything done and it still didn't happen very well. I ended up leaving after four or so failed promises that it would be just 10 more minutes.

Buying a more expensive axle up front will likely save you more in the end after having to deal with Currie.... or maybe, you'll get lucky and not have to deal with them? Willing to take that chance with a three to eight thousand dollar axle?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.