JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This should be a newbie question but here goes, anyone running the Currie tow bar set-up on thier JK for flat tow and how well does to tow, do you like the set-up, and is there anything else that needs to be done with that set-up. Towed a TJ flat a couple of times but think it's time to tow the 4Dr Rubi and get it out and wheel the mall crawler wife's jeep a little bit. Thanks in advance, :beer:Bosco

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
You need to leave the key in the on position so the front wheels will turn and you need to disconect the battery or the ESP will go ape shit on you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You need to leave the key in the on position so the front wheels will turn and you need to disconect the battery or the ESP will go ape shit on you.
On '09 and '10 you no longer have to have the key in the ON position. The owners manual was never updated by Jeep. You can verify by having the key out and turn your steering wheel past the half way mark.

I tow my '08 with a similar tow bar as the Currie. I use my shackle mounts to tow. I welded my own brackets.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks OlMan, cool site also gave me some ideas for a CB mount. I went ahead and purchased the currie tow bar bracket mount for under the factory bumper for now, wife most likely would not let me fabricate to much on the jeep as of yet, eventually it will tie into my new front bumper on the shacle tabs as you stated, thanks again, Bosco

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huge Thanks to Chromedome

Hey Chromedome, Just wanted to say thanks for the generous offer and deal on that part, look forward to wheelin with you in the future, I'll bet the Jk will be rubicon ready by next year, (however based on the mods done to my 03 TJ this week) if it not close the TJ will make one hell of a rock crawler come that time, poison spider cage going in this week with four point harnesses for all, and the backseat is still removable for the rubicon stuff I will be haulin with me. I know this is a JK forum but I'm sure you wouldn't mind having at least one TJ in your group, Thanks again for the deal of the century, Bosco:beer:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
hey, do any of you guys tow at highway speeds with this setup, I wound up going with a roadmaster setup, because I wanted to tow at highway speeds, and I called and asked about this tow setup because it doesn't limit the bumper options too much and they said I could only go 55 mph with it....that would get me killed around here...:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been towing the JK with the currie baseplate for about six months and it works great. Easy install with the stock bumper and very strong. I don't know where 55 mph came from but I tow mine at any highway speeds without issue.
Had to modify the baseplate to make it work with the AEV bumper but it's now even stronger attached to it.
The pic doesn't show the plate too well... i'll take another tomorrow.:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tow mine with a RoadMaster Sterling bar and a custom base plate mount, to work with the AEV bumper. Had the Currie plate and used it once with the stock bumper, worked fine... :smokin:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've been towing the JK with the currie baseplate for about six months and it works great. Easy install with the stock bumper and very strong. I don't know where 55 mph came from but I tow mine at any highway speeds without issue.
Had to modify the baseplate to make it work with the AEV bumper but it's now even stronger attached to it.
The pic doesn't show the plate too well... i'll take another tomorrow.:beer:
Got that number when I called to talk to someone about it...I kind of thought that was told to me for insurance reasons...anyway, I like the way that baseplate looks...kind of like combo skid and baseplate...cute kids too...:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Since Currie is a California company, I would guess they have to state 55 mph, because that is the towing speed limit here.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Since Currie is a California company, I would guess they have to state 55 mph, because that is the towing speed limit here.
That makes sense...I never thought of that...:beer:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got that number when I called to talk to someone about it...I kind of thought that was told to me for insurance reasons...anyway, I like the way that baseplate looks...kind of like combo skid and baseplate...cute kids too...:)

Thanks man!

Yeah if only it would be a little bigger to cover the disco motor... that would be cool!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts