JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FedEx Santa just dropped these off, I was hoping to have these installed for Johnson Valley after Christmas, but all the parts never came together. These are the standard replacement Rock Jock 60's. The front uses the stock JK knuckles, hubs, brakes, etc. I originally wanted to upgrade the front housing since it is bent, I dont know how that could have happened, it is a 30 and I want to run 37's. A Rubicon 44 would not have had any axle housing strength benefit since it still only has 2.5" axle tubes. I wanted to keep the stock knuckles and outers since this is one of our R&D jeeps and wanted to run an off the shelf tie rod, drag link and we plan on doing some brake upgrade kits, also I can keep the speed sensors to make the ESP happy. The front is uses 30 spline chromoly Dana 44 inners and will use JK 30 outers or the Superior chromoly outers that use the 760 u-joint. Currie plans on making a 35 spline inner with the bigger JK Rubicon u-joint but they were not available yet. These will get ARB air lockers and upgrading the side gears later will be an option.

The rear end is also the standard JK replacement rock jock, it uses 35 spline axle with the speed sensor tone rings and 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern for the wheels. The rear will also have an ARB air locker and 5.38 Yukon gears.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yea i can't see how that happened either ;)

But them there axles look sweet keep us updated

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooooooh puuuurdy!!

did you get FAA clearance for that flight?
There was magazine photographers there, we were the first ones to hit that jump big. We bent the crap out of that dana 30, I knew immediately because the axle seals started leaking. I think it was worth it, we made the cover of JP and had a spot in 4wheel and offroad JK shootout with that shot.

Reactions: stubbs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you look those things over. On a few 9" rearends we had wheel stud issues because of the boxing and also a busted pinion support. Yes, I know those don't have the support but check the housing anyways...

Those look nice!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
There was magazine photographers there, we were the first ones to hit that jump big. We bent the crap out of that dana 30, I knew immediately because the axle seals started leaking. I think it was worth it, we made the cover of JP and had a spot in 4wheel and offroad JK shootout with that shot.
Yeah I'd say that kind of publicity is worth sacrificing a D30!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dana 60 outers add another $3000 plus you have to get new wheels because you have to go to 5 x5.5 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I fit up the axles in the jeep to make any necessary adjustments. I had to make a new front track bar relocation bracket, added some gussets to the inner C's, and also had to make new rear shock relocation brackets. I set up the gears and lockers then took it all apart to have the housings powder coated. Here is everything back from the powder coater. I am going to have to make a new tie rod, these axles are 1" wider and the tie rod needs more bend to clear the diff.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Nice. And I thought I was somethin' ordering a 4wheelerssupply DANA44 front axle. :hmph:

BTW Who did you have to kill for that shop?

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
could you not gusset the top portion of the C similar to the bottom as well? I see the gussets for the top on the inside of the C but I was thinking of a short gusset between the spring perch and the C on the top side of the housing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could you not gusset the top portion of the C similar to the bottom as well? I see the gussets for the top on the inside of the C but I was thinking of a short gusset between the spring perch and the C on the top side of the housing.
You definitely could do that, you just have to be careful to clear the spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts