JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled across a thread where a few JK guys commented on how they were stripping aluminum arms on their antirocks. Having never heard of this before, I was curious if this was common or not?

I have the whole front end of my JKUR torn apart and was about to order the AL arm kit but now I'm second guessing myself.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
Yes it is common.
I did not know this.

Do they strip due to the arm mount not being torqued to required spec or fatigue from so much tensile stresses constantly on the fairer metals toothed mount bore?

I'd also be curious if it is happening upon back and front aluminum ARs. you'd think they'd get equal workouts. Unless these are front running Jeeps only?

again, very interesting .

:jeep2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't know this was an issue either. I would think it would be more common on the front though. It is a stiffer bar so it will apply more torque to the splines. I just got a rear AR because my stock one interfered with my shock setup. I ponied up for the Alum, but now I wonder if I should have went with the steel. They do look nice after I anodized them though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
I didn't know this was an issue either. I would think it would be more common on the front though. It is a stiffer bar so it will apply more torque to the splines. I just got a rear AR because my stock one interfered with my shock setup. I ponied up for the Alum, but now I wonder if I should have went with the steel. They do look nice after I anodized them though.

Yeah, those look the tits anodized like that .
:jeep2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The ORO SwayLOC is double the price of the Currie Antirock. Can't justify that. I've been impressed with the Antirock product in the past and since my JK isn't a daily driver, I don't mind the additional body roll.

Apparently the guys that do strip the AL arms, when they go to warranty the damaged part from Currie, they recommend replacing the AL arms with the steel version. One guy claims that Currie is trying to phase out the AL arms altogether.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts

Out of curiosity, anyone know the weight difference between a pair of the steel versus the aluminum arms for JK front ? I just wonder how much it is different ,weight-wise...

tltliu

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Yes it is common.
I had always assumed aluminum wasn't a good choice for swaybar arms.

Not surprised to hear the splines will strip out. Jeeps with lots of wheel travel is about as hard on a swaybar as you can get.

I need something a little wider in the rear and a little narrower in the front than what Currie makes. So, I'm going through Speedway Engineering for custom lengths. Folks are top notch.

Nice rate chart for swaybars. Gives a good idea of how arm length plays into it.

Sway Bar Rate Charts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts