JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized how much I hate the placement of the cup holders... I was happy initially that I had two in front and back, but I don't like how they placed the front two so stink'n close to my gear shift.... I drive a 6 speed and if I ever have a drink in the front holder and try to shift into reverse, it won't go fully into gear and then you get the great sound of grinding gears! My apartment has a parking garage that is EXTREMELY narrow... sometimes I wonder what the designers/engineers of this thinking when they built the dang thing. Another car coming turning to go down as I coming up... so I put into reverse to back up for him..... and here it comes!!!! (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND!) ah, i hate that.

I guess looking at the placement, I don't know what else they could have done, but I know they could have done SOMETHING... not everyone drives an automatic...

A

·
0 Posts
The front cup gets in the way with the autos when you shift into first. Not a problem on the street but I use 1st low a lot off-road.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
with my manual transmission, I cant remember how many times I've accidentally shifted a bottle of Gatorade or Mt Dew...lol

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
with my manual transmission, I cant remember how many times I've accidentally shifted a bottle of Gatorade or Mt Dew...lol
and that damn transmission was so unresponsive to that I bet!:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks that its a problem with the autos too.... Yeah, I've never shifted a drink (not yet at least... haha) but I've hit a few out of the holder... luckily they were bottles...and closed. but when I needed to quickly get out of the way today by moving backward, that stupid cup made it REAL difficult... :pissed:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I never have had this problem...I suppose just putting glass bottled 12 oz drinks in the holders is why...I can see where it may be a problem with a 256 oz mega deep throat drink from the 7-11, though...I'm just saying...:laughing:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never have had this problem...I suppose just putting glass bottled 12 oz drinks in the holders is why...I can see where it may be a problem with a 256 oz mega deep throat drink from the 7-11, though...I'm just saying...:laughing:
Hahaha. Yeah, I normally put my phone/ipod in the front holder and a bottle in the back so I don't usually have the problem... but I ended going to get whataburger for my myself and my roommate wanted a drink as well. Ended up getting the massive fit your whole face inside cup size (two of those in those small holders was interesting btw) and that's what made it bounce off.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Drink Holders

Yes - I have the same problem with low range and my coffee cup, if in the front holder. I did purchase an extra rubber insert set for the back seat holder. It is not a perfect fit, but does hold the drinks from spilling back there too. :smokin:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I can shift into , 4th, or 6th w/o hitting my freaking cup.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually don't drink and drive:grinpimp: but when I have bottled water in the Jeep I shove it between the e-brake and the seat. Fits perfectly.:beer:
:laughing::laughing:: hahaha... nice

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I just realized how much I hate the placement of the cup holders... I was happy initially that I had two in front and back, but I don't like how they placed the front two so stink'n close to my gear shift.... I drive a 6 speed and if I ever have a drink in the front holder and try to shift into reverse, it won't go fully into gear and then you get the great sound of grinding gears! My apartment has a parking garage that is EXTREMELY narrow... sometimes I wonder what the designers/engineers of this thinking when they built the dang thing. Another car coming turning to go down as I coming up... so I put into reverse to back up for him..... and here it comes!!!! (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND!) ah, i hate that.

I guess looking at the placement, I don't know what else they could have done, but I know they could have done SOMETHING... not everyone drives an automatic...
I have the same complaint with cup holder placement. The problem is the chrysler designers/engineers don't think. My 96 Ram 1500 has two cup holders above the stereo head unit. The next model year those cup holders were below the stereo unit. I also notice that the
head unit would get very hot when the heater was on. Sure enough the head unit failed a short time after. Check and see how hot it gets behind the glove compartment in the JK. It'll burn you if you're not careful. :shaking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts