JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? I called Ratech yesterday to see if they made smart sleeves for the jk axles, but they don't. Would really like to eliminate the crush sleeves. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Crush sleeves do not hold the preload, they were invented to speed up the gear set-up process. There are some applications where shimming is the prefered method.

The orignal way to set gears is to set with shims. Preload always changes as the bearings wear in both applications.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will have to see if we have any material and i will see if we have 9 inch shims.
We do all of are JK axle setups with spacers and shims, I think it is easier and will hold up better.
Thanks! Shims and spacers are much easier to setup. In some cases spacers are stronger. Crush sleeves are a one shot deal! You over torque the sleeve your sleeve is shot. Plus the crush sleeves for the jk require 350-400 ft/lbs of torque. Its just something I don't like to deal with!

Thanks JSS. Hope to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
350-400ft lbs? isnt that the initial force needed to start the crush not the final setpoint? arent you still looking for 20-40 in/lbs (with new bearings/races according to poly) turning torque not the just going to 350 and done?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes that's the initial setup 350-400. Everything you stated is correct. Trying to start the initial crush is a pain in the ass and something I don't like to deal with. And if you crush it to much your sleeve is shot. You'd have to get a new crush sleeve. Eliminator kit is just something i'd prefer over the crush sleeve.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If/when I install new gears I'd like to go this route too. It seems to me the shim method is more error proof since you don't have to dick around with the crush sleeve. I'm surprised there aren't a lot of aftermarket venders selling these.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If/when I install new gears I'd like to go this route too. It seems to me the shim method is more error proof since you don't have to dick around with the crush sleeve. I'm surprised there aren't a lot of aftermarket venders selling these.
Isn't really error proof and it takes more time unless you really know what you are doing. The Crush sleeve is more error proof, I would say shims are more forgiving.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Maybe 'error proof' isn't really the correct term. It seems like it would be so much easier to setup bearing preload. You could use a set of setup bearings to dail in the shims needed and then do your final adjustments. It seems like a much simplier process to me. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maybe 'error proof' isn't really the correct term. It seems like it would be so much easier to setup bearing preload. You could use a set of setup bearings to dail in the shims needed and then do your final adjustments. It seems like a much simplier process to me. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it though.
You just have to be patient with the whole process. I'm going to be using set-up bearings with my gear install. A friend of mine who is more experienced with ring & pinion install is helping me.

Although i've gotten a really good quote from a professional installer, so i may let them do my install. It'll take me atleast two to three days to do the install where it'll take them one! Plus if i screw them up its on me, if they screw it up its on them!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The nice thing about solid spaced is you don't have to worry if you need to R&R the yoke. Run it home and torque, if you use the crush sleeve you have to worry about compressing it too much.

Sent from my little magic box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.