JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey JKO, long time no see :)

Anyway, I'm having an issue with my cruise control. A few months back it became a little intermittent. Sometimes it would come on when I pressed the button on the stalk, other times it wouldn't. For the last 3 months or so, I've got nothing. No light on the dash, no cruise. All the fuses look fine. Doesn't really bother me too much, I'd just like to solve it if I can.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could replace the switch. I just did mine on an 08 oem switch was like 40$. I had to pull center of steering wheel and unplug airbag. Three screws hold on switch two have to accessed from the back. I used a mirror to remove\install them. Getting center of steering off is hardest part of project and took half of total install time which ended up about an hour for me. I referanced a write up about installing cruise on a jeep that came without it. Sorry i earsed the link

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is not difficult to diagnose cruise control problems. A car's cruise system is composed of four separate parts, involving both mechanical and electrical systems. Should your cruise control fail, you should do some troubleshooting before you take the car into an auto repair shop. Most problems with the cruise control can be fixed very simply.

The vacuum system is the most common component to fail. To diagnose problems with the vacuum system, you will need a vacuum pump. Use the pump to apply vacuum pressure. It should release when you press the brake pedal.

Wiring - To test the wiring, you will need to be able to access the cruise control connector. This is located behind the dash, and will require that you remove a trim panel to access it. You want to use a multimeter and test each of the eight connections in the connector.

The steering column switch is another component that rarely fails. If everything else is correct, you will want to check this switch. Hook up your multimeter and ensure that you get a reading when the switch is depressed. If you do not, then you likely have an issue with this switch.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could replace the switch. I just did mine on an 08 oem switch was like 40$. I had to pull center of steering wheel and unplug airbag. Three screws hold on switch two have to accessed from the back. I used a mirror to remove\install them. Getting center of steering off is hardest part of project and took half of total install time which ended up about an hour for me. I referanced a write up about installing cruise on a jeep that came without it. Sorry i earsed the link

i got mine at $49 from a certain auto parts warehouse online store before... my goodness, their customer service sucks... I should have ordered it from ebay. cheaper by $6

1 - 4 of 4 Posts