JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the JK market... new to the Jeep market actually after selling my 100series turbo diesel cruiser... I am looking at a 2008 JK diesel with a 5speed automatic, its got 65,000kms.

From anyone's experiences what is the reliability like?

Is there anything i need to specifically watch out for? Even just model specific?

I have searched through a few jeep forums and haven't really found anything or anyone who has had a big issue with the 2.8L CRD motors?!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I am new to the JK market... new to the Jeep market actually after selling my 100series turbo diesel cruiser... I am looking at a 2008 JK diesel with a 5speed automatic, its got 65,000kms.

Is there anything i need to specifically watch out for? Even just model specific?

I have searched through a few jeep forums and haven't really found anything or anyone who has had a big issue with the 2.8L CRD motors?!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
That's because they aren't offered in the States, so almost no one here will be able to give you any firsthand experience with the diesel platform. That said, there are some members here outside the US who may be able to give you some insight. We're stuck with the 3.8L V6 gasoline engine.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
BTW, many members here would kill to be able to purchase a diesel JK, so lucky you :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
Here in Australia they are pretty reliable, but the common thing that goes is the turbo pipes, we all upgrade them to better aftermarket type.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have a liberty CRD which is a similar engine 2.8. At 90K had the alternator pulley go,replaced timing belt at 100K (reg maintainence),Turbo hose blew at 122K. Currently has a CEL to replace a glow plug 123K. So far seems to be fairly reliable to me never left us stranded!

Jason

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only owned mine for 3 months and racked up 4000 miles, but so far (touch wood) mine hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. I return anywhere between 26 and 28 mpg with bucket loads of torque. These pull like a train.

Only downside really is the rattle sound effect when cold, sounds like a bag of spanners, but once warmed up it just purrs. This is no different to any other diesel engine in the sound department.

In a nut shell, I love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in Australia they are pretty reliable, but the common thing that goes is the turbo pipes, we all upgrade them to better aftermarket type.
Hi, in France seems to have some turbo pipe that failed also. same fix by using aftermarker performance pieces.
In my case, I bring to a garage for just a front axel spi seal change... and he found lots of teeths in the oil after drain...
So a full kit of planetary and differential gear (not sure of my google translation...) JK Sahara unlimited 30 000 km, few and light off-road.
Except that no issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts