JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it? Or would a killer patch kit account for 95% of problems you might expect. Oddly I've never gotten a flat while wheeling and thus never had to use the spare. My biggest worry is popping a bead, in which case my Viair portable probably isn't going to help much. I'd love to lose the weight and gain the space though. Stupid thing to do?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Is it? Or would a killer patch kit account for 95% of problems you might expect. Oddly I've never gotten a flat while wheeling and thus never had to use the spare. My biggest worry is popping a bead, in which case my Viair portable probably isn't going to help much. I'd love to lose the weight and gain the space though. Stupid thing to do?
get a nice work bag from homedepot or wherever and toss the following in it:
a GOOD tire plug kit, like a "pro" set or heavy equipment set.
some LARGE self vulcanizing patches
BIG ASS can of fix a flat
can of starting fluid and matches/lighter
50' of stainless safety wire
2 tire spoons from harbor frieght
extra valve stems/cores/remover in a ziplock
big ass ratchet strap

I can fix most any tire short of you tearing it in half with that kit.
normal holes? plug kit/fix a flat
biger holes? more plugs
big ass hole? pop the bead and use a patch
big ass tear? stich it with safety wire, patch the inside, use lots of plugs
popped bead? attach aire comp to valve and be ready, spray starting fluid around rim and some in tire making a stream going away from tire, light stream, WHOOOMP!!! tire will seat from rapidly expanding fireball, start filling tire NOW NOW NOW (the hot air will cool and contract and will suck the bead back off unless you fill up the tire) or use the ratchet strap.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
yup doc got it right there.

but just know that all that takes a lot of time and is a huge pain in the ass.
Ill just carry my spare when wheeling.
I also carry most of that stuff too though

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I run a full spare and wouldn't run without one. Now if I was running 40-42" tires I may change that. I feel much more comfortable with one. It's not worth jacking with it, if something is questionable I'd throw it on.

Only failure I've had was a bead. My #20 co2 tank made short work over it though.

I drive mine anywhere, 1000 plugs would be fine for me to get off the trail. But I wouldn't want to drive 1-3 hours home like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I run 33's from firestone, and only nce have i ever had a flat, which actually was a popped bead. Took all the air out and kicked it a few times, it sort of reset itself and we drove home.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You don't say if you are wheeling near a town/help or if it's sunday grandma runs / dives off of cliffs with your jeep...which changes the answer a bit. :D

I think IF you are doing aggressive wheeling or wheeling alone it's crazy to run without one. I don't doubt the doc can fix 99% of anything with that kit. Perhaps even 99.99%. But do you really want to have that 1% happen...or even take the time at the worst time possible?

Or, do you want to have to rely on the kindness of strangers? These folks were wheeling alone without a spare and would have had a nice walk otherwise...
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49708

I never run w/o a spare and I don't understand it when people do. But...if you have a kit like the doc, wheel in a group, and don't mind begging rides on the unlikely chance you fully shred a tire...I guess it's a matter of choice/how much the time spent annoys vs entertains you. If you wheel alone, far from help, and in dangerous situations that you might roll, etc, or combine your wheeling with scrambling where you might need to get someone medical help... it's foolish IMO.

But there are folks who would believe when I hike alone it's foolish. Whether or not I'm carrying all the gear I need for survival for a few weeks in a bad scenario. So we all have our quirks. :beer:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I usually leave the spare at camp. I can drive back on a flat and grab it if need be. The weight of the spare hanging off the back makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry my mistake, I thought this thread was about wheeling with a group. First off If I was to go out solo, I would have a replacement for all of the major parts and a full size matching spare. That said 90% of th time it is in place on the back. Sometimes at a small venue, I will take it off but never when out solo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I usually leave the spare at camp. I can drive back on a flat and grab it if need be. The weight of the spare hanging off the back makes a huge difference.
I've always heard this as a bad thing...I'd think it'd give more traction to the rear axle...so I assume the bad part is a worse departure angle?

Me, I'm kind of a tard. I roll with a spare.
Same here. I'm sure others will vouch for me on both points.:thefinger:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've always heard this as a bad thing...I'd think it'd give more traction to the rear axle...so I assume the bad part is a worse departure angle?

Same here. I'm sure others will vouch for me on both points.:thefinger:
The front end stays planted much better on steep climbs is what I have noticed. With a 4 door it may not be as big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Depends on where you wheel, too. If you're wheeling in places like I have (Hot Springs, Katemcy, etc.) you're never on more than ~1200 acres so it's never THAT far back to camp. If you're out west you might have a several mile trek back to camp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts