JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the skinny rear bumper tonight...looks badass and has a great departure angle now...but the bumper is so close to the muffler that I cant get my hand in there to put a hitch pin in...any ideas how to resolve? Can I move the muffler up without causing any issues?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Stock muffler?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Replace muffler? LoL

The problem with moving the whole muffler up along with tubing and hangers without repiping is that you'll start making contact with different places. Also, finding hangers that will pull the exhaust up will be challenging. Ideally, reducing the size of the muffler would be the best route. Why anyone would keep that suitcase size rock magnet is beyond me? I mean, aside from being quiet. :D

You could probably get a shop to cut, swedge, and reweld the OE muffler back a couple of inches and rework the hangers, if need be. Or, start looking at aftermarket stuff.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Any suggestion what muffler to use in place of it? I'm not into the loud annoying tune of a v6.
The quietest muffler under idle and low rpm is the Dynomax VT, but when you get that little spring loaded baffle to flip open, it sounds like the rest. There is not in between from what I can tell. The Super Turbo was flat and relatively quiet when I test fit it. Keep in mind, this was on the 12v 3.8. Not sure how any of these sound with 24V motors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont use my hitch very often, all I need is enough room to squeeze my hand in there 4 times a year...I might try to move the stock one up and forward a hair...maybe I'll get lucky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts