JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 RHD wrangler for my mail route. My 2010 has 30200+ miles on it and I have a rough 99mile long rural mail route, mainly gravel and dirt roads. I picked up the 2013 to use as my main vehicle putting my 2010 into a back up as we deliver Amazon and my 2 door 2005 is just too small for the amount of packages I have daily.

Well after a month I have replaced the starter, water pump, radiator and some sensors. It will start and run in the morning but after running the first part of y route I have a business where I have to go in and pickup outgoing packages and mail . Then it wants to crank but not start. This goes on even when I am no longer touching the key. So far I have EVENTUALLY gotten it to start but have had to have it towed once already when it totally refused to start after work to go home. Of course, it started after sitting overnight

What in the heck is going on???? I have already put around $3000 into this Jeep. In my previous Jeeps I have had to replace wiring harnesses and they are almost impossible to find (right hand drive) and the mechanic that sat on the floor and REMADE two of them no longer works on anything butt vintage cars. HELP PLEASE!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm thinking its the crank position sensor. I had a problem like that when the Jeep would heat up it would turn off or not start if I let it sit it would start up.
you wont get a code for it. the engine does not know if its working cause it off and on are both good readings.

Reactions: snout

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
+1 for the possibility of a sticking solonoid. On the pentastar, the bendix is made out of some kind of plastic/nylon. Mine started to come apart and would leave the pinion gear stuck out. The fork was popping off of the groove on the pinion assembly. It was pretty easy to get out and rebuild in teh back of the jeep. I rebuilt it a couple of times, putting it back together correctly, but it woul djust come apart again. I eventually gave up and just purchased a new one from O'rielly with a lifetime warranty. It was a quality unit and looked brand new with new cadmium plating and all.

Here's a little footage I shot of the problem and then after I fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts