JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've only had my JK for a month and 3 days and the other day while driving I noticed a 6 in crack in the center of my windshield from the top to the bottom of the rear view mirror!
I haven't done any serious or heavy off roading but really? One month and its already cracked. I called my local jeep dealer and they said they couldn't do anything about it. Do I have to go through my insurance for this or should I start asking for managers?
:flame:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Welcome to jeep ownership! Went through 4 windshields in the first 2 years. The flat windshields attract everything! Try insurance, I know here in mass they are completely covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my insurance out of Florida and I know out there they cover it as well, I just hope I don't have to fork out the deductible for a windshield

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh...if I have to pay the deductible, I'll prolly just go the way you went then. Way cheaper...lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
In KY there covered %100 I got hit with a rock on the second day of ownership on my 2011. The guy that came to replace it noticed the diff. between the new one and the old one and made sure I got a new one with the jeep grill at the top!

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
After my third windshield I changed my insurance comprehensive deductible to $50. Now I just pay the $50 and have them change it in my driveway or at work whenever they crack. I am averaging 2 per year right now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm about to be on number 3 in a year and a half.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i paid $350 for a new factory windshield installed
Holy crap. Go aftermarket... I can get a new window up here for $165. Getting a factory window is a waste of money...you will have to replace it next year again anyway.

And OP, at least you made it a month. I got my first chip 2 days after I bought mine, which has since spread across the bottom of the window. Our second jeep made it a week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The dealer that I'm buying mine from has several "upsell" packages. Paint protection, interior fabric protection, etc. They also have some kind of windshield coating that they apply. Of course the salesman hypes it up and makes it sound like a great deal. I forget all of the details, but the cost is $399.00. Any broken windshields get replaced for free, I think for 2 or 3 years. Anyone have anything like that done to their Jeep? I imagine that they use $20.00 worth of product, take maybe an hour to do it, and make a huge profit margin on it.

I probably won't go for it. Pricey. Plus, right now my commute has no freeways, so hopefully no stone chips.

Pete

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
OP, also check if there is an impact...
If no impact the dealer will change it under warranty.
Happened to me 2 times...
No impact, just cracked because of the cold windshield vs hot defrost air...

And presently I have 2 huge cracks, one left, one right, but they come from a rock impact...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Holy crap. Go aftermarket... I can get a new window up here for $165. Getting a factory window is a waste of money...you will have to replace it next year again anyway.

And OP, at least you made it a month. I got my first chip 2 days after I bought mine, which has since spread across the bottom of the window. Our second jeep made it a week.
I was quoted a similar price for an aftermarket windshield but decided to go factory original.
Then a month later while driving to Moab i picked up several nice chips. Now just waiting for the whole thing to crack out. Might just go aftermarket next time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! Didnt expect this many replies XD

Well what happend these past few days was pretty boring, but exciting at the same time.

So i ended up calling my insurance (I'm insured out of Florida, but I live in Nevada) and told them about the crack. They said it sounds like it could be repaired with no out of pocket for me. Not very happy about that, because I'd rather get a cracked windshield replaced, especially since we get 80+ mph microbursts of wind out in Las vegas, and the fact that I really like going off roading and over potholes apparently...lol. So a guy from Safelite comes out and I show him the crack. Immeadiately he tells me that he cant repair it because it starts at the top of the windshield. You can tell it was a rock that did it because on the paint right above the windshield its chipped. At that point in time Im about to slam my head on the nearest solid stucture while the safelite tech gets some prices for me on windshields. After he leaves, I call my insurance and tell them what had happend. They then say "I guess we need to replace it then....and....looks like no out of pocket for you on that too." You will not believe how happy I was at that point, I was really happy because I could still plan to put that $300 towards my lift or tires! lol So Safelite comes back out the next day and replaces the windshield. The guy really liked the jeep logo and the little jeep in the corner lol.

Thanks for all the heads up on how well my insurance people are gonna get to know me in the next few months :p

:thankyou:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
General consensus is that the factory windshield is a little tougher then the aftermarket. I have about 14 stone bruises on my original 08 windshield, all were repaired and held. The last was a big stone which cracked immediately so I will be replacing once the winter debris is cleaned off the roads.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The dealer that I'm buying mine from has several "upsell" packages. Paint protection, interior fabric protection, etc. They also have some kind of windshield coating that they apply. Of course the salesman hypes it up and makes it sound like a great deal. I forget all of the details, but the cost is $399.00. Any broken windshields get replaced for free, I think for 2 or 3 years. Anyone have anything like that done to their Jeep? I imagine that they use $20.00 worth of product, take maybe an hour to do it, and make a huge profit margin on it.

I probably won't go for it. Pricey. Plus, right now my commute has no freeways, so hopefully no stone chips.

Pete
Pretty much all snake oil!
Costs them about $50 the rest is just profit and there is a lot of fine print.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.