JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All... did quite a lengthy search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I'm trying to do is have some courtesy lights come on when the doors open. I'm not sure what wire would work. If someone knows and could give me some pointers, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I can't remember the color wires but remove the domelight, you HAVE to open the cover before pulling it out as the lens pushes the tabs back when it is closed. Then see which wires they are, yellows with blue or something like that anyway then find them at the plug at the passenger kick panel harness plug. Verify they are the correct ones with a volt meter. To do this all you need to do is shut the door and open it or push the door latch closed all the way and then open it. Then just tap into that wire as your 12v positive and ground the other wire and your done. I would go premade led's that already have the resistor as they will offer the most light with very little draw on the overly finicky electrical canbus systems we have. hopefully this makes some sense as it's early and have not fully woke up yet!

·
Registered
126 Posts
rob4607 is pretty close. As I recall from memory. The wire color is white with a yellow stripe. You should find two of them in the harness @ the passanger foot well on the right side. It was mentioned that you had to guess at witch wire is correct since there are two of the same color. But I have never heard of anyone guessing wrong?. I suggest that you use this wire to activate a relay. And then you could use the relay to power what ever you want. I have done this very same mod. And there are some minor deficiencies with this mod. #1- your new lights will come on any time you turn on your dome lights and not just when you open the door. #2- the relay will begin to chatter as the light goes off because this circuit has a dimming feature. I have been told that the chatter problem might be correcte with the use of an electronic relay insted of the old fashon type "coil" relay.
Good Luck and Happy Moding.:beer:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I made some led's lights for the foot wells, so I should have no problem with the canbus system.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
its actually the YELLOW wire with the WHITE STRIPE. And the yellow is yellow....thee is also like a goldish/brown wire with a white stipe too....go for the BRIGHT yellow with the white stripe.

I also have LEDs in the footwells, and no relay...works fine because draw is so low

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Nucastle... haven't done anything yet... I'll get it done tomorrow. Did you make your own light for the foot well?

·
Registered
430 Posts
No, I bought them from Oznium. Got two of the straight ones per this link http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

Also used their Dome Light replacements. Have bought a bunch of single LEDs for some additional lights in the interior that will be doing over the winter.

Good luck!
I also have those LEDs (still hafta put em in) and they are BRIGHT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All... did quite a lengthy search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I'm trying to do is have some courtesy lights come on when the doors open. I'm not sure what wire would work. If someone knows and could give me some pointers, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Did you ever get this question resolved?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts