JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Luckily I have RCVs, so getting a replacement should be easy!! :) But I wonder how it could have gotten this way? With my wheeling style, twisted splines and/or broken shafts, I'd understand.... but this is odd!

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the carrier look like? Or is this the outer shaft?
MB wrong spline count?
It's the outer... going into the CV joint. The splines in the joint are fuggered up, but not nearly as bad and it's random compared to this clean grind.

I'll have to count the splines, but this was back at RCV less than a year ago for replacement due to a bad CV joint... they put it all back together, so I would assume it is correct, but will go count to be sure.

And Dan.... no fucking clue! lol

· Registered
146 Posts
Hardened metal vs. non hardened metal possibly. Or way to much spline clearance. Either way not good.

· Registered
929 Posts
Hardened metal vs. non hardened metal possibly. Or way to much spline clearance. Either way not good.
I am thinking of buying these. Very disappointed. Subscribed. Bag of popcorn and on the couch to watch how this turns out. Will make a decision probably mainly based on this experience you are having.

I consider it as a failed shaft and should fall under warranty. Who pays for shipping in this case? Thanks for posting

· Registered
88 Posts

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... they took almost 24 hours to get back to me, but not a problem... they are sending a replacement today! Exactly as their warranty points out.... NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

This is the second time I exercised their warranty... same result. Easily makes the increased cost to get in worth it!

They didn't give any ideas as to why.... I am pressing them on that question as I think we are all interested to know.

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So what are you going to do about the "other" mating surface?
While it wasn't specifically discussed, I'd be pretty flabbergasted if they didn't send the complete side. Anyone looking at that damage would have to assume the female end would be fuggered up too.

Now you have me crossing my fingers. lol

To alleviate confusion, this is what we are looking at:

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay.... in another thread about the warranty of RVC products, one guy chimed in saying it was the star cage... low and behold, the star cage was cracked in several places which would have allowed the shaft to spin freely.

RCV sent me a new shaft, but not a cage.... when I contacted them for the other part, we started talking. The engineer feels that I might have too much steering and it needs to be limited at 42 degrees. He thinks the shaft may be pulling out. They have asked me to send it back in so they can get a look see.

So... while they are taking care of me, I am not too happy about the extended down time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.