JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a tear drop trailer and have some stock JK rims I'll be using. I need to mill the center of the rim a small amount to fit over the hub on the trailer. Any idea what this should cost?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get a good whole saw :D
Yeah, I thought about that, but one slip and your rim is jacked.

On a local jeep board, a guy just came on there advertising machine work. He told me about $75 to do 5 rims. That seems high to me, but I don't really have anything to base it on. It's only a few minutes each on a lathe so $75 seems high, especially when he's charging a $60 an hour rate. Would it really take 75 minutes to machine 5 rims?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Less than $100 for 4 rims. Set-up time on a lathe 5 to 10 minutes a wheel (going to have to dial the bore in), cutting time 5 minutes a wheel, no special tooling needed, only a lathe with a 17" or greater swing is needed. Shouldn't take more than a hour for a set, if your just doing two rims half hour tops.

I'd do it for ya for a case of beer!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Less than $100 for 4 rims. Set-up time on a lathe 5 to 10 minutes a wheel (going to have to dial the bore in), cutting time 5 minutes a wheel, no special tooling needed, only a lathe with a 17" or greater swing is needed. Shouldn't take more than a hour for a set, if your just doing two rims half hour tops.

I'd do it for ya for a case of beer!
I have a set of 5 rims I've purchased. I'd need to do at least 3 so I have a spare, but I might as well do the other two seeing as there is another trailer project waiting for those other two wheels after this one is done.

I'd take you up on your offer, but I'm thinking that case of beer would be the most expensive case I've ever purchased by the time I get out there. lol Thanks though!:beer:

With what you said in set up time, I guess $75 for 5 is a decent price then. I guess I'll have to go see him tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
if you are using any of the aluminum rioms just flip them over and hole saw them from the back, take a good measurement for the saw size and go for it. total cost is about 20 bucks for the saw

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you are using any of the aluminum rioms just flip them over and hole saw them from the back, take a good measurement for the saw size and go for it. total cost is about 20 bucks for the saw
That's an idea actually.

Something that just occurred to me. I purchased a torsion axle. When I made all my measurements, I added the offset of the stock jeep rims. However, now that I got thinking, all they do is add length to the main tube, not the axle / hug length.

So, will the stock 5 3/4 (I think if I remember correctly) backspacing be too much and interfere with the torsion arm? Ugh, I hope not... I'll have to take a look and do some measuring when I get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts