JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up for a quick run to the top of Hurricane Pass to check out Lake Como for the first time and then ran Corkscrew Gultch. Good times...

·
Registered
647 Posts
nice pics. It was this time last year i camped right at that outhouse on cork screw. There is a sweet flat grassy area right behind it and you have a toilet 10,000 feet up in the middle of no where!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice pics. It was this time last year i camped right at that outhouse on cork screw. There is a sweet flat grassy area right behind it and you have a toilet 10,000 feet up in the middle of no where!!
ha, yeah i saw that toilet. I can't imagine freezing my but off up there though.. :D

Beautiful! How cold did it get at night and where there an unusual amount of bugs?
I didnt camp up here. I stayed in a cabin in Silverton, just a few miles away. No bugs here and has been getting down to below 40 at night.

·
Vendor
558 Posts
I didnt camp up here. I stayed in a cabin in Silverton, just a few miles away. No bugs here and has been getting down to below 40 at night.

Thats great news...'cause that means we'll be skiing/boarding in no time!

:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cold? naaaaaa! it wasnt even snowing yet! it was around 35degrees this time last year at night

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Makes me want to go swimming...
Lol, I think it would be like swimming in toilet bowl cleaner! Get's that color from toxic mine waste.

The road to the east side of the lake is Poughkeepsie Gulch, the only sorta hard core trail in that area. One serious wall obstacle with a few different lines. Rest of it is moderate to sorta difficult. Great fun.

Every year I take my neighbors on a Jeep run. Couple weeks ago I took them over Brown's Gulch to behind the Red Mountain mining area, then over Corkscrew, Hurricane and California. These are essentially local trails for me. Been running them for 25 years and never cease to be amazed how beautiful the area is. While you're here hope you have time to do the Alpine Loop, Black Bear Pass and Imogene, too.

FWIW, these are all county roads and in no danger of being closed. A cooperative effort is underway to preserve the area exactly as it is for all interests. Sportsmen, Jeepers, 4x4s, Bikes (motor & non), hikers all have a stake and are working together to put the plan together. Much of this is private land and the big worry isn't closure, it's trophy home development. It is essentially a giant Superfund site that's never actually been declared and lots of remedial work needs to be done on old mines & tailings to stop heavy metals from reaching the creeks & rivers. Liability costs of cleanup keep property owners of these old claims from stepping forward, so the governmental agencies are trying to find a way to allow them to do remediation without risk.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Absolutely incredible scenery, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
865 Posts
After seeing these pics and those from the Alpine loop, our vacation probably is not going to be in Moab next year. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After seeing these pics and those from the Alpine loop, our vacation probably is not going to be in Moab next year. Thanks for sharing.
I'll be in moab in a month so you can decide after you see those photos too. :D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Man those pics are incredible, as were the others I just looked at from earlier in August. They really show me how I'm living in the wrong part of the country! Stunning.......:beer:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'll be in moab in a month so you can decide after you see those photos too. :D
We did the EJS this year for vacation and was planning to do the same next year but may just do Colorado and Wyoming instead. That is some truly stunning scenery y'all have going on there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts