JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 model year, almost certainly that @#$%! plastic oil cooler housing. I guess at ten years old the plastic has finally become brittle enough that it cracked near the coolant hose, causing a steady drip drip drip of coolant once the thermostat opens.

Looks like I need to take off the intake manifold upper and bottom parts to get to it. I have the parts on order from the dealership (new housing, the rear coolant hose, intake manifold gasket set), they'll supposedly get here sometime next week. Has anybody here done this job before and are there any gotchas that I should be watching out for? Other than remembering to plug in all those wires for the sensors lol?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Its sucks, there are a couple of wire harnesses to disconnect, they have the stupid red locks on them and you have to do it by feel if I remember right. It is pretty straight forward just take your time and plan on wasting an entire day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its sucks, there are a couple of wire harnesses to disconnect, they have the stupid red locks on them and you have to do it by feel if I remember right. It is pretty straight forward just take your time and plan on wasting an entire day.
Do all JKs after 2012 have a plastic housing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Drain the coolant first. It s only a half day job. There is a aftermarket aluminum housing available.

·
Registered
2012 JKU build in progress
19 Posts
How did your repair go?
Mine just started doing the same so I found this
Azure Rectangle Organism Font Eyelash

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Couple of things....

The job is easy. I've done it a few times with and without supercharger.

The new Dorman product is cool but it only fits the updated 2014+ oil cooler. It has a different bolt pattern between the aluminum cooler and the plastic manifold. If you want the aluminum Dorman, then you will also need a new OEM oil cooler off of a 2014+ model to rape it for its aluminum cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts