JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to flush my radiator and I ran into a bit of a problem - the stupid valve on the radiator when opened, didn't result in even as much as a drop.* Based on some google recommendations, I tried shoving a narrow zip tie into the valve to dislodge if need be... nothing... tried blowing compressed air into it... still nothing.....

So for now I just popped the lower hose and swapped as much coolant as I could that way.... pulled someplace between 6 and 7 quarts... which means that there is still plenty left.* I wanted to do the add distlled water, drain repeat to get as good of a flush as possible but I ended up doing just a partial drain and refill.

Anyways, what's up with the stupid valve???* Any ideas as to the best flush possible?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Trying to flush my radiator and I ran into a bit of a problem - the stupid valve on the radiator when opened, didn't result in even as much as a drop.* Based on some google recommendations, I tried shoving a narrow zip tie into the valve to dislodge if need be... nothing... tried blowing compressed air into it... still nothing.....

So for now I just popped the lower hose and swapped as much coolant as I could that way.... pulled someplace between 6 and 7 quarts... which means that there is still plenty left.* I wanted to do the add distlled water, drain repeat to get as good of a flush as possible but I ended up doing just a partial drain and refill.

Anyways, what's up with the stupid valve???* Any ideas as to the best flush possible?
Anyway you can remove the whole petcock assembly and then push into it with zip tie in? I know some have the bung welded in place.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts

You had cap off , of course. You opened lower hose so not a pressure lock...try baling-wire instead of the zip tie. Or a wire hanger all straightened . You maybe have mineral deposit so bad the zip is too pliable or too short & isn't in contact with it , maybe?

:jeep2:

·
Registered
265 Posts
The bottom of the radiator might be full of crap, in that case it's time for a new one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts
^this

The suggestion @Rb6700 makes is what I was gettin at as-well w/ my comment; ya maybe have so heavily encrusted or sediment buildup it’s just not gonna clear out.

If you can’t blow it out w highly compressed air or poke thru w wire , ya pretty much gotta pull the rad anyway , so may as well replace.

(I would like to be wrong but I do get the feeling that this OP is one of those that we never hear from again...)

:jeep2:

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So the big question is : is it a quarter turn or a half a turn to open the drain?

When I first tried opening it (it was closed solid) I could barely move it but when it finally broke lose I was able to get the quarter turn. Then when it got to the end if the quarter turn it feels like it reached a stop. Tried forcing it a bit but it didn't budge. Didn't want to break the damn thing of.

Regarding sediment - I think if there was sediment I would see some of it in the bucket as I drained the lower hose.

Oh yeah - it's a 2012 (pre sand casting) with 45K miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts