JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who run one or have run one of these CB mounts in the past, what are your thoughts on it (this is the inside the license plate mount they make). I like the cleaner look and lower attachment point of the antenna on the vehicle, but don't like that the antenna sits a bit off to the side of the jeep waiting for a branch to catch it. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Looks pretty slick. I bet you'll like it depending on how you use your rig. My experience indicates that the license plate holder is pretty easy to knock loose if you like to play on the rocks. Have you looked into mounts that attach to your tailgate where your spare tire carrier does? I ran one of those for a while and really liked it. Its not hard to route your antenna cable to those either.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I just helped a buddy install the cool tech kit with the license plate antenna mount. There is supplied bolt the is used to mount it to the body so it makes a reasonably solid mount. My two cents if you choose that kit, make the hole into the license plate holder a l'il bigger and use a spring mount to give the antenna more flex and give for anything that it will brush against.

That said, on my rig I basically have the cool tech kit but with the teraflex gate mount. I like that set up a l'il better as one it gets the antenna up a l'il higher for improved range, but then it also allows for using the Jeep to deflect most things that will smack against it. Here again, use a spring mount for the antenna base.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is exactly what i am comparing it to...a gate mount, whether it's teraflex's or even Cool Tech's gate mount. I actually have Teraflex's HD hinge/tire carrier and it appears that they may soon have a solution to add a CB mount to the HD hinged carrier that would place the antenna to the right of the spare, but i would like to get this done sooner than later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts