JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got some pics of cool interior or exterior leds on their jk's?

I just bought some led strips and bulbs and have a little project I'm going to tackle but i wanted to get some perspective first.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Got Rice? :D

Sorry, had to do it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHAHA thanks Dayton. Yes there was a question about cool led interiors. Ill just have to post pics when its all done and see if it is still classified as ricer mod.

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, here's one of the first mods I did.

This is the door handle mod, I can see them in the dark now.

Here's the centerstack mod, first and second tier.

Third tier left.

Third tier right.

What it looks like at night. Sorry about the bad photo.

I tapped off the dash lights behind the stack. I also put plugs in the door handle led wires so I could still take them off (the doors that is).
I can see the O/D button as well as the 4WD selector.

·
Registered
176 Posts
that dont look to bad .were did you get the leds. any install pics

·
Registered
962 Posts
that dont look to bad .were did you get the leds. any install pics
I got the leds from superbrightleds.com. I've got a few install pics, I'll have to dig them up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In all honesty that looks really cool to me!. Very tasteful my friend....Nice work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That does look good. More of an access lighting look rather than ricer mod crap.Post a pic of the door handle in the dark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you finally, this is what im going for. Not over the top but definately in line with this. Great pics. What size bulbs did you get?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thank you finally, this is what im going for. Not over the top but definately in line with this. Great pics. What size bulbs did you get?
I used T-1 sized (3mm) leds. I don't have the part number handy, but I bought the widest angle lens config they had. I'll post more when I get back home tonight.

·
Registered
962 Posts
OK, like I said before, I got the leds at superbrightleds, and used p/n RL3-R4545, which is a T-1 size red 45 deg led. They are .60 each.
I also bought green and aqua and tried them out. The green was distracting. The aqua matched the radio display well, but was still distracting. I went with red to preserve my night vision.

I started by tapping off the dash lights and a ground with pigtails and a barrel connector.

Then I made some distribution harnesses, 6 hot connections and 4 ground connections and plugged them into the pigtails. The reason for 6 hots was for later expansion. I wish I would have done 6 grounds instead of 4. You can also see the hot wires I ran from the door handle leds.

Here's how I wired it up. The top 3 leds are wired in parallel. The bottom 2 leds are also wired in parallel. I can't remember what value resistors I used, but after I did the math I was running them at about 75% of their max current.

Top detail

Bottom detail, with mating connectors showing.

Here it is all plugged in ready to be put back together. I didn't take any pics when I did the door handles, but it was really easy. Pop the inner panel off, and you'll see there is tons of room on top of the handle to put the led in.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks john

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
my '07 came without floor lights. i installed some LED lights shining from below the dash to illuminate the floor. for some reason... i dont have any pics, though.

I'll try and post some tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts