JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - finally getting around to swapping my control arms soon - prolly over Thanksgiving. Wanted to get any tips from those of you who have done this in your garage (I don't have a lift). What's the best method - on the ground? On Jackstands? Besides the obvious (proper torque, loctite, etc), what am I missing?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well to start you need beer lots of beer! LOL

You really need a set of jack stands a good floor jack and a torque wrench along with the basic tools check out the write up section for tips and info on lift installs to get an idea of whats involved!

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Passenger side front upper control arm bolt either needs to be cut out or the cat needs to me moved out of the way to remove it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good tips - keep em coming!

I'm reading through the lift install threads now - good idea - I hadn't thought of that.

jaker - I'm lifted already. Are you implying this is done w/ the Jeep on the ground, or on jackstands?

Goody - *really*? That sucks. Any better ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
a ratchet strap is your friend.
Chock the front and back of each tire on the side you are changing the ca on. Hopefully it does not move a 1/4 inch, so you do not have to ratchet it back. Not hard, just takes away from beer time!:beer:

I speak for the lfca's. I have not done the ufca's or installed the TeraFlex rear upper arms and Coast ds in my shed.:shaking:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah just slide underneath and do one side at a time
jakes, are you saying "leave the vehicle on the ground with tires on and slide underneath and do one at a time"?

That's really my biggest question. Looks like all the instructions referenced are for full lift kits & so show the jeep up on jackstands.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
jakes, are you saying "leave the vehicle on the ground with tires on and slide underneath and do one at a time"?

That's really my biggest question. Looks like all the instructions referenced are for full lift kits & so show the jeep up on jackstands.
Yes you can do all the lowers with the jeep on the ground , I have not done my uppers yet so I can't say for sure about needing to jack for the uppers

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
On the ground do one arm at a time. As already mentioned a ratchet strap and floor jack will help with axle position for installing the new arms. Need to cut off the passenger side upper factory bolt, otherwise it is very easy.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes you can do all the lowers with the jeep on the ground , I have not done my uppers yet so I can't say for sure about needing to jack for the uppers
OK - thanks. I'm doing all 8, plus will be swapping out my cam bolts on my trackbar to non-cam-bolts, so I'll likely need to try to get it up in the air on jackstands I'd imagine. I don't suppose there are any issues proceeding this way?

Did the wife's long arm one corner at a time, get all your bolts in set it down on level ground bounce on your front and back bumpers to settle thongs then tork it down
Cool. Thanks. Does anyone know the torque ratings?
Do I really need to cut off that one bolt mentioned above?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
OK - thanks. I'm doing all 8, plus will be swapping out my cam bolts on my trackbar to non-cam-bolts, so I'll likely need to try to get it up in the air on jackstands I'd imagine. I don't suppose there are any issues proceeding this way?
Track bar cam bolts? Or just track bar bolts? ...or control arm cam bolts? You'll need to weld some washers or something to the mount if you've run cam bolts.

Cool. Thanks. Does anyone know the torque ratings?
Do I really need to cut off that one bolt mentioned above?

If you are doing front uppers, yes, you still need to cut a bolt. Or take the two bolts loose at the exhaust manifold and move the cat around. Did your arms not come with instructions and torque specs?

As you can see in Rough Country's control arm drop bracket instruction manual the passenger/upper/frame side bolt gets cut.

http://roughcountry.com/install/1106.pdf

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool. Thanks all.

I guess I need to open the box my arms came in & look for instructions too. D'oh!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just did my front uppers. No need to use jack stands. The only tricky part was getting the passenger side bolt out. As others have said, the exhaust is in the way so I had to cut it off.
Getting the new bolt in required a bfh. Otherwise, it was very simple.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just did my front uppers. No need to use jack stands. The only tricky part was getting the passenger side bolt out. As others have said, the exhaust is in the way so I had to cut it off.
Getting the new bolt in required a bfh. Otherwise, it was very simple.
So if the bolt needs to be cut off, how does the new bolt go in at all?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.