JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Contemplating a New 2015 dealer modded Rubicon.....

I am looking at a 2015 leftover Rubicon Unltd. that a dealer has that has been modded by a company called DSI to the tune of 16995.00, trying to nego. a price. I can't get them to budge much, they state that the mods are all warranted and the package cost them $15000.00 ! I find that very hard to believe. Also I would be paying for all of the take off stuff that they kept, except for tires & wheels. Is that the norm for buying such a vehicle ?
I am trying to figure out the best way to negotiate a deal, after all it is a year old Jeep essentially ! Is anyone familiar with DSI ?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
if i were you i would buy a stock jeep and mod it yourself you will save a lot . im sure they mark up the mods a lot . plus you will have the stock parts to sell . the dealers make a lot off of the "package" deals

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Likely crazy markup on less desirable products... I suggest you pass on this.

They aren't picking products because they are best of breed, they are picking them for cosmetics and profit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Likely crazy markup on less desirable products... I suggest you pass on this.

They aren't picking products because they are best of breed, they are picking them for cosmetics and profit.
I was looking at 2015 JKUR's and one local dealer wanted $9,000 above MSRP for a puck lift and 35's on 20 inch wheels. Buy a stock Jeep and build it up with quality parts and have fun. Marcus from RCO and Jason from Krawl can get you wheels, tires, and a solid 2.5 inch lift that will perform better and cost less than any dealer package I have seen.

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
that's a bunch of Transamerica cr*p that they have likely had thrown-on the Jeep , some purchaser backed-out or whatever & they are now stuck with the very vehicle that they tried to stick to the proposed purchaser. Ha! I would tell them to stick the thing where the sun doesn't shine because if that website is any indication, there is no way that crap plus the OEM take-Off stuff equals another 16grand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does look like they used decent name brand parts (ProComp, Smittybilt, Fox) and there is a warranty to back up the parts and labor. I know that there is some room in there profit margins but they don't want to budge alot on this add on stuff !

·
Registered
663 Posts
Why not get a non dealer modded Rubi and you cna get your own parts? Is there a huge price break on teh Rubi to justify paying another $10K premium on dealer chosen parts? remember you will pay the $(k plus tax. I woudl get a stock Rubi and choose my own stuff. Even if you go with Procomp and Smittybilt parts you can probably save a lot more by dropping your rig at a 4wheel parts store and get it installed. ....

·
A JKO DICK
3,690 Posts
It does look like they used decent name brand parts (ProComp, Smittybilt, Fox) and there is a warranty to back up the parts and labor. I know that there is some room in there profit margins but they don't want to budge alot on this add on stuff !
Procomp and Smittybilt are not high end. Adequate yes, high end no.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Their "King of the Hammers" edition is made up of Smitty and Rubiocn Express stuff !!! That should be enough to move along, and quickly !

Barely adequate bordering on garbage.
Garbage, bordering on adequate !

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
First, you should only consider it if it is exactly what you want. If not, chances are you could take a stock Wrangler to a shop and have them install what you want for less than what this dealer wants over a stock Jeep.

Just a quick example, i was looking at a Mustang a couple years ago and the salesman was asking why I didn't want the one they had since it was the color, engine and transmission I wanted. I said I didn't want the upgraded rims/tires it had on it. He said something to the effect of "come on, you'll probably be swapping out the standard rims and tires anyway." I said that even if that was true, I probably wouldn't have chosen the ones their car had (they were nice, but if picking from everything out there they wouldn't be what I would go with). And I certainly didn't want to pay around $1,500 extra for rims that wouldn't even be my first choice. Plus I wouldn't still have the standard set like I would if I upgraded later.

Second, if the mods are exactly what you want, I would still check the prices of buying the added extras yourself. Because there is a good chance you could have someone put those same mods on a stock Jeep for less (not to mention doing it yourself if you can).

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
you stole the words right-outta my reply, ASSFROW. Well, 'stole' is not the right word; but you got exactly what I was thinking when I read the "...fairly decent parts..." by OP.
Nope and Nope. ProCom & Smittybilt are sad little parts that just bring rust to my mind....

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
Their "King of the Hammers" edition is made up of Smitty and Rubiocn Express stuff !!! That should be enough to move along, and quickly !

Garbage, bordering on adequate !
Ha! I had to look this up; you were right, they are assinine enough to call something that at that company. haha. I would so love to see someone take this to JV and wheel it for the 3 min it would last....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts