Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The first thing that catches my eye is the 10 amp wire. If it shorts out, it will burn before the 20 amp fuse blows.
Right. That's just an example.
The diagram is from here:

https://www.extremelights.co.za/blogs/news/how-to-wire-a-relay-for-off-road-led-lights

I'm using 12AWG wire/40A fuse/40 A dual 87 relay/60W LED lights

Every diagram I've seen connects switch Power to some existing source. Was wondering if right to have batt + to relay 30 AND switch Power.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The switch controls the relay coil. The coil draws very low amperage.
So, the fuse can be small; larger than what the coil draws, and smaller than what the switch and switch wires can safely carry.

The fuse for the light circuit can be much larger; larger than what the lights will draw, and smaller than what the light wires can safely carry.

Do you see the relationships among load, wires, and fuse?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The switch controls the relay coil. The coil draws very low amperage.
So, the fuse can be small; larger than what the coil draws, and smaller than what the switch and switch wires can safely carry.

The fuse for the light circuit can be much larger; larger than what the lights will draw, and smaller than what the light wires can safely carry.

Do you see the relationships among load, wires, and fuse?
Understood.

Let me ask this though. Is it ok to run 12AWG wire throughout the whole project?

Also, being that I'm connecting switch power straight to the battery, should the fuse still be small there? How small?

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Look at the load on the lights. This and the length of wire would determine how big the wire needs to be and the fuse size. 12 gauge for lights seems high to me. Generally I would think you would be looking at a 10 or 15 amp fuse.

The example shown is wired with a relay because they are coming off the ignition circuit and running this way will shut off the lights when you sit off the vehicle. The relay isolates the load from the ignition circuit so not to overload it. Running strait of the battery will allow you to run the lights with the key in the off position.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at the load on the lights. This and the length of wire would determine how big the wire needs to be and the fuse size. 12 gauge for lights seems high to me. Generally I would think you would be looking at a 10 or 15 amp fuse.

The example shown is wired with a relay because they are coming off the ignition circuit and running this way will shut off the lights when you sit off the vehicle. The relay isolates the load from the ignition circuit so not to overload it. Running strait of the battery will allow you to run the lights with the key in the off position.

Would it be a problem to use 12 gauge?

60W LED fog lights.
Length is just as much you would use to install fog lights to switch in cabin with relay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts